Add extended support for USB (UVC) webcams

By “Extended Support” does that mean possible controls for…

• Exposure Time
  • Aperture
  • Focus
  • White Balance
  • Brightness/Contrast/Hue/Saturation
  • Gamma
  • Backlight Compensation

Yes, assuming the camera supports them. (For example, some MacBook Pro built-in FaceTime HD cameras don’t support any controls. But the Logitech C910 and C920 support most or all of those controls.)

Excellent, doesn’t seem to be anything available on the Mac yet to do this but there are those who have done it for their own projects, for example
PhobosLab
There are a whole bunch of USB cameras out there that support control through UVC, I have this one
ELP 8MP USB Webcam 5-50mm varifocal CS Lens mini PC camera USB web camera for video recording [ELP-USB8MP02G-MFV (5-50mm)] - $0.00 : Surveillance Equipment,CCTV Systems,USB Camera Module Supplier, Best USB Cameras Module,Network IP Cameras,Analog CCTV Cameras,IP Network Video Recorders ,Digital Video Recorders,IP Network Camera Systems,Security Camera Systems,Mobile DVR Systems ,Security System Accessories,Color LCD/LED Monitor/Car Video,Wireless Tranmission Module ,Digital camera lens for building, city,airport,police,bank,shop,home and office etc.
I can control it from a few Windows apps, but nothing on Mac that I can find.
Want t use it for a camera based projection mapping project … would be great in Vuo. :-)  

Paul I’ve used the camera control app you mentioned before but it stopped working in later versions of OSX. I switched to Webcam Settings and have used that from time-to-time. Depending on the webcam you use it has many possible controls for exposure, focus, white balance, colour controls, flicker control, and ways to override apps like Skype that try to take control of the camera.  

I confirm webcam setting as a working solution to set full control of a uvc webcam allowing generally its parallel use in other app.

1 Like