Add support for NewTek NDI (network audio/video streaming)

Be able to send and receive image streams via the NewTek NDI network protocol.

Native support would be nice, as a workaround for the moment there is Syphon2NDI. Have tested it with Vuo to Syphon2NDI over to a PC running the Resolume 6 beta. Worked well!

4 Likes

This will be a first step for better integration with Resolume!

1 Like

This would be great to integrate Vuo into Production work flows and larger video installations. NDI is really establishing itself now as the most widely used network video transport protocol.

1 Like

Hmm, this could be interesting and useful. I’ll have to keep it in mind next time I have votes.  

I keep finding more and more situations over the past year where this would be SO useful to have. Currently As a workaround I use the Send Image via Syphon and NDISyphon to accomplish this, but having it built-in would be absolutely amazing!

NDISyphon  

1 Like

This has by far become my most wanted new feature not yet implemented.

Vuo 2.0 Beta feels so complete with all the great new features. By the way VUO Team, it feels more like a release candidate, it’s so stable!  

1 Like

Please implement Newtek’s NDI into Vuo2 in 2019!!!

1 Like

+1

I’d love to have NDI running natively on VUO 2.0

1 Like

I keep coming back to this feature request and was thinking this time about how useful a feature request it would be for projection mapping or other distance related projector based projects.

I’ve often used HDMI over ethernet extenders to get signals to far away projectors but you can easily run out of display outputs. So I was thinking that if NDI were supported it could open up some possibilities of easily adding additional displays to ANY Mac even ones that only have few available options for connecting displays.

In a projection mapping composition you could be running the main composition on your most powerful Mac using some NDI Server nodes streaming the image feeds, and on secondary Mac minis or MacBooks you could have a simple Vuo exported Mac app with a Receive Image via NDI node with a Make Quad Layer node or something to align the projection. You would now only be limited by the power of your Main Mac (and number of other Macs you have available) not the number of display connections you have on your main system.

I realize you can often add more displays with external graphic cards or certain hubs, however you aren’t as likely to invest in something like that for a single project. It’s a lot more feasible to get your hands on a second or third Mac computer, so because of this I really think NDI would add a lot of value to Vuo.  

3 Likes

Yes Please! native NDI would be soooo useful!!

2 Likes

Chosen to be implemented!

6 Likes

That is great! Continuing with the good idea of Chris of several outputs, NDI also helps for several inputs. Not only from other programs, like Resolume or MadMapper (as an option to Syphon), but also from cameras. And this fore there are NDI apps (like Newtek NDI) which convert smartphones in fast cameras with low latency. Of course, there is also the SPARK to take a profesional camera input. But mainly, the point is that we can use several inputs at one time, of diverse kind of sources. Imagine, several camera inputs, for little money,

1 Like

mimoLive from Bonix (QC based layers) have implemented NDI for cameras and outputs and it’s now there preferred location-based streaming technology for cameras as the setup is so simple and operation using remote controllers means one person operation of a multi-camera shoot is pretty manageable.

This will be a huge addition to Vuo!!

One issue with live video on Macs always seems to be those mac CPUs overheating and dropping cycles. Being able to chain macs together just via Ethernet to spread the computational load is a big opportunity with NDI too. As is camera and source sharing across a network. So pleased to see this added.

YES!!! Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!!!

This is going to make Vuo very flexible in terms of using it for broadcast and live performance related applications! So exciting!

1 Like

Great add to a fantastic program : )
Cant wait to have try it out…

1 Like

Considering the unbelievable amount of streaming going on right now, NDI usage is skyrocketing. Is there a timeframe on this?

I have a number of ideas and projects changes on the horizon that could benefit from native NDI. Hoping the update comes soon! :D

I would guess this would be a requirement for commercial developers like BonixTV to consider getting on board replacing QC with Vuo if Apple make QC dependency impossible in new macOS versions. mimoLive is integrating NDI rapidly as they see it as the future of small scale broadcasting and even bigger productions.  

1 Like

I agree, Alastair. I have been using Boinx and then mimoLive for quite while (for works with theatre/dance), and its stability with NDI has been improving significantly - even as a good option to their own app for Smartphones.
And I hope too that the Breidenbach Brothers and their team choose VUO to replace the QC customizable layers - like CoGe, also a former QC based live modular mixer, highly customizable with own modules and compositions playback (even integrating parameters), which migrated to Vuo and ISF (et.al.). Which still has to finish its “metalization”, seems soon. Â