Adjust the Scale of the Feedback Transform in the Blend Image with Feedback

Hi guys!

Using Vuo 2.0.0-beta2.

I would like to adjust the Scale of the Feedback Transform in the Blend Image with Feedback patch.

I’d also like to adjust the Scale via a published port where I can “Edit Details” and limit the range of the Scale parameter.

I’ve tried doing this with a Make 2D Transform patch but this seems to “clip” the height of the Feedback. Additionally when I publish the Scale of Make 2D Transform and then “Edit Details” of the Y Axis for example, it doesn’t “do” anything if that makes sense.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Attached a screenshot showing the same comp without Make 2D Transform (looks good) and with the Make 2D Transform patch (height is clipped, changing the Scale doesn’t do anything).

Thanks!

1 Like

On your screenshot the 2D transform node doesn’t seem to have a cable connected, so it’s not being activated, therefore no scaling is applied (default x=1 & y=1 is applied).

Once published I thought on start the composition should fire an event from the published port but it seem it doesn’t, therefore you’re again not seeing the 1,05 y value change.
Not sure if this is a bug, or a change under the hood regarding how published ports are fired for sub-compositions.

Adding a thin event-only cable to the 2D transform node fixes it though …

@Bodysoulspirit thanks so much for this, adding the event only cable fixed the height “clipping” however I’m still unable to adjust the Scale of the Feedback Transform by dragging the X or Y Slider, both when it’s not published and when it’s published. The Scale changes if I control click the unpublished port to Fire Event. I’ve tried adding Allow Changes (which I don’t think you need to do anymore in Vuo 2?) but it didn’t help. Do you think it is a bug or am I still missing something? I’ve attached my file in case it’s useful. Thanks! :pray:

Calculate-Amplitude-Frequencies-03.vuo (8.63 KB)

@Bodysoulspirit I fixed it by adding the Refreshed at Time output to the Reset input of Allow First Event :raised_hands: It would be good to understand completely why this solves it whenever anyone has a chance. Sidenote I also changed the Colour Depth of the Feedback patch to 16bpc so it doesn’t leave behind ghost trails.

Refresh Reset.png

Some basics, sorry if you already know them :

1#
Again, there is no clipping. What seem to be clipping is just “no scale applied”. Since no event hit the transform node, no transform was applied, and therefore the default y=1 & x=1 apply, wich mean they do not feedback stretch. They feedback in place over time, but do not stretch-feedback.
You can verify what is going on by clicking the port and check some values on the popup (and click on that popup if you want to pin it to the canvas).

No Changes Popup.png

2#
It is normal that adding an Allow First Event node fixed that, but it still doesn’t update further live-coded changes, since it was an Allow FIRST event only. Further events do not pass, and later modifications to your node are not updated.
What you did is correct, manually fire the port to see the changes, when it is not published.
There is a feature request that was planned for Vuo 2, but was delayed, where every change in editor live coding would automatically re-fire/reload the node : Fire an event from Node when an input value is changed in the Editor

Now, I just gave the manual another read, I did not know it either, and I don’t know why it is like that, but for standard non-protocol compositions like yours, published ports do not push changes downstream/forward the node chain. So what we did is correct, to add an Allow first event, or to directly connect it to a Fire on display refresh event only cable (shift-drag cable) for live coding/always updating node.
(Although for optimised compositions, we should only connect nodes to the computing lightest event flow, at start only if the node doesn’t change later, or once every second, or 60x/second. Differenciate live noodling (see feature request above) from updating the node in for the final composition itself). (For example, in your composition, use the Allow First Event cable to the Make Rectangle Layer instead of directly to Display Refresh if it doesn’t need a 60x/seconds update). (See joined comp 1).

Display Refresh.png

3#
Last but not least, if you want the published ports to automatically update on changes, (without, in Vuo 2 like you mentioned, the need for “Allow changes” ), you can use a protocol mode composition (f.e. image generator mode). For these, the published ports do update the whole node chain on every change (see joined comp 2).  

Calculate-Amplitude-Frequencies-03.2.vuo (8.4 KB)

Calculate-Amplitude-Frequencies-03.2 Protocol.vuo (7.95 KB)

1 Like

Haha our comments crossposted ;)
so yeah, as you found out, connect to Fire on Display Refresh (directly, no need to Allow first Event → reset)
Or use protocol mode compositions.  

@Bodysoulspirit That makes sense, awesome thanks for the detailed infos, lots of tips that I didn’t know. And for the comps!

1 Like