Apply Mask Node is Reversed from Industry Standard

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Make 2 Get Image Nodes, an Apply Mask Node and a Render Image to Window node.
  2. Apply a URL of a Colour image to the first Get Image node.
  3. Apply a URL of a Black and White image to the second Get Image node.
  4. Connect the Get Image Nodes to the appropriate inputs of the Apply Mask node.
  5. Connect the output of the Apply Mask Node to the input of the Render Image to Window node.
  6. When your RUN the composition you will see that the White areas are the areas that get knocked out rather then the industry standard Black areas.

How did the result differ from what you expected?

Normally when using a B&W Mask in the VFX industry the standard is to use Black for the transparent areas where the underlying layers show through and White for the part of the image you want to remain. In the Apply Mask node this standard is reversed so the white areas are the ones that key out. Can this be switched? It would be easier for those already familiar with keying standards. Thanks.

When did you first notice this bug?

The first time I tried keying something today.

Have you found a workaround?

Using the Invert Image Colors node between my Get Image Node mask and the Apply Mask Node was able to make my Mask behave as expected.

Other notes

• Vuo version: 0.6.1
  • macOS version: OS X 10.9

@cwilms-loyalist: I’m confused; I think the Apply Mask node already behaves in the standard way (white=opaque, black=transparent).

Check out the built-in example (File > Open Example > vuo.image > Mask Movie With Star). The star is white, and the background is black; the white star area causes the movie to show through, which I think is what you described as being the standard. (Screenshot attached.)

If you’re still seeing incorrect behavior, could you attach your composition, images, and a screenshot of the viewer window?  

Oh man Haha! You’re not the one confused; I am!!!

I’m so ashamed, I was referencing the wrong mask file in my composition (I had typed the URL for an inverted version of the one I was trying to use for a mask). Very sorry for wasting your time with that… apparently I need more sleep before I try to report issues. :)

Can you tell I will be SO looking forward to the drag files to Canvas feature coming in 0.9.0 this summer. :D

:^] No problem. I’m looking forward to that, too.