Audio reactive movie file

How can i make a video (short one) play forward and backwards based on an audio file?

i have a running dog video and i want it to go back and forth by the beat

Hi,

What do you mean with back and forth ON THE BEAT ?

Check this node info here to get you started there is some info about reverse playback : Play Movie (vuo.video.play)
Please note that the backward playback quality will depend on your computer and movie specs as seen here : PRORES 4444 stutters on reverse playback

What do you have achieved already ?

well, another example of what i want to do, i have a video that shows lips opening, and i want to display it on screen, so when i talk on the mic the video play and rewind reacting to my voice, giving the illusion of the talking screen … something like that

i´ve been experimenting, but im completely new on this kind of software.

Going trhough the examples given with the software i found there is a simple way to play a video forward and backward with the “cycle through list” node. But i can´t figure out how to trigger it with sound, it is working with mouse click by now. This stuff is in the “showInstantReplay” example file

Here are some things to get you started and play with, try changing the parameters to achieve your effect.
It won’t work on the beat since while there is a beat detector (I strongly assume) that it will only work for music. So you could use the loudness of your voice instead.

a - Simple loop movie with speed on loudness :

b - Setting the movie on mirrored instead of loop with the rate changing would look better but on my computer when the movie reaches the end the composition freezes, maybe a bug or maybe i’s just not supported and I’m doing it wrong :

c - You could try to use the Set Time port of the “Play Movie Node” here is to get you started :

PS of course don’t forget the URL to your movie ;)  

Loop Speed On Sound.vuo (3.23 KB)

Mirror On Sound Bug.vuo (3.47 KB)

Set Time Smoothened.vuo (3.68 KB)

1 Like

i have a running dog video and i want it to go back and forth by the beat

You mentioned that you found a solution based on the Show Instant Replay example. Cool.

For reference of anyone else who lands here looking for how to do the same thing, here’s one solution:

i have a video that shows lips opening, and i want to display it on screen, so when i talk on the mic the video play and rewind reacting to my voice, giving the illusion of the talking screen

In addition to @Bodysoulspirit’s suggestions using Play Movie, here’s a composition using Decode Movie Image:

For the smoothing (@Bodysoulspirit, you asked about this), the trick is that the events into the Time port have to be faster than the events into the Set Target port.

Oh, and on another discussion @Kewl figured out smoothing using Parabox Rolling Average List.

PlayMovieOnBeat-Decode.vuo (3.13 KB)

PlayMovieOnSound.vuo (3.84 KB)

@jstrecker good point using Decode Movie Frame instead of Play Movie
Ok although I understand why the “Time” events have to be faster then the the “Set Target” it seems perhaps I don’t fully understand if when composing.

For example I always wondered why a Hold Value or List higher in the flow combined lower with a Smooth with X with the same event rate never worked, is that the same problem ? So the same rate is not enough, it has to be faster right ? :

Ok so instead of making the time frame rate higher technically I could also lower the Live Input Frame Rate right (considering the window rate is high enough) ? :

But what I still don’t understand with the Play Movie node is that when set to mirrored and I use the loudness to change the speed using a Change Speed node connected to the “Set Time” port it works :

But when using the “Playback Rate” instead of 'Set Time" when the movie reaches the end the composition Freezes, no more Events from nowhere, not even the window Requested Frame Output :

Bug or am I just not getting the same obvious thing again ? ;)  

1 - Same Event Rate Does Not Work.vuo (4.59 KB)

2 - Lower Live Audio Rate.vuo (4.58 KB)

3 - Mirror Change Speed Time Works.vuo (4.65 KB)

4 - Why Freezes When End Of Movie ?.vuo (4.37 KB)

Bug. I created a bug report — https://community.vuo.org/t/-/6047