Cannot correctly filter HID controls (button names)

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Have an HID controller with buttons
  2. load vuo.hid.scale.control or vuo.hid.filter.control into a composition
  3. try, for example, accessing “Button 1” and “Button 10” and “Button 11” independently
  4. fail, because “Button 1” is part of the control’s name for buttons 1, 10-19, 100-199, 1000-1999 etc.

Have you found a workaround?

No.

Other notes

• Vuo version: 1.2.8
  • macOS version: macOS 10.13
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from completing a specific task with Vuo.

This bug prevents from using an HID controller with more than 9 buttons, which is a shame, because I just built one with approx. 32.

Workaround: Instead of Filter Control or Filter and Scale Control, you can use Get Control Values -> Are Equal, as in the attached composition.

I agree that it should be more obvious how to do an exact match instead of a partial match on the control name. Would people still want to do a partial match sometimes? That would affect our implementation.

hid-name-equal.vuo (14.9 KB)

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try that.

How about using wildcards like ? and *? So a String without wildcards would be handled as “exact match”, but one could then easily filter out controls that begin with a certain String (Button*) or end with it (*n 13) or, for a partial match: *partialmatch*

or:

keep the partial match behaviour but make it an exact match when entered in quotes, i.e. Button 1 vs. "Button 1"  

1 Like

Added support for wildcards (glob) in HID, OSC, RSS, Serial, and Syphon find/filter nodes. Implemented in Vuo 2.0 beta.