Crash or Unresponsive: Make Movie with Large Resolution & Antialiasing

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Make a generator composition
  2. Attach “Width” & “Height” to an aspect of that composition (EG: ShaderToy)
  3. In Export dialogue set antialiasing to 4x
  4. Set Export size to 4k
  5. Vuo Crashes or becomes very unresponsive

Have you found a workaround?

I set antialiasing to 2x. I think that is because we are rendering a bigger image than can be processed. (4k x 4k = 16k)?

Other notes

• Vuo version: 1.2.1
  • macOS version: OS X 10.9
  • How severely does this bug affect you? Not much; I’m just letting you know about it.

Yes, looks like it’s exceeding your computer’s amount of VRAM.

When you ran into a similar problem several months ago, we added a dialog that would prevent exporting the movie if it would exceed the estimated available VRAM. So why didn’t that dialog pop up? Well, it seems we need to make a lower estimate. Since there doesn’t seem to be a way to detect the amount of VRAM that the operating system will allow the movie export to use (it can even vary for the same movie size: sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t), what we did was take the total VRAM and subtract off a percentage, which was found based on trial and error. Apparently the percentage wasn’t large enough in this instance to ensure that the dialog pops up.

How much VRAM (video RAM) does your computer have?

I was using a 3gb 7970 before- but in order to composite 360 VR I had to swap in a Nvidia 2gb card. (Forget name- 3year old model).

Maybe place a warning box with a lower threshold- with the ability to dismiss? (Rendering this video could exceed your available memory and cause vuo to crash)

UPDATE: current GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2048 MB

@alexmitchellmus, thanks for the info.

Lowered the threshold in Vuo 1.2.2, and made it bypassable.

Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 4.10.54 PM.png