Crashing FxPlug

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Create an FxPlug.
  2. Edit it in Motion for a while.
  3. A plug-in is not responding error appears.

Have you found a workaround?

No.

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.4.0
  • macOS version: macOS 12
  • CPU: arm64
  • Have you been able to reproduce the problem? The problem occurs sometimes, but I haven’t found a way to specifically cause it
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from completing a specific task with Vuo.

Archive.zip (13.8 KB)

comp.zip (8.2 MB)

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 5.08.12 pm.png

I’ve added several more crash reports.

more current date and time crashes.zip (87.9 KB)

@funwithstuff, thanks to the crash reports you provided, we were able to identify a likely cause.

The logs in all of your crash reports show the screens going to sleep and waking up. On some systems (including yours), macOS apparently reconfigures the displays upon waking up. This leads to crashes that look very similar to this other bug report.

We already have a fix for the other bug report scheduled for the upcoming Vuo 2.4.1 release. Although we haven’t actually been able to reproduce your crashes to confirm, we think it’s likely that they’ll also be fixed.

Great — thanks for tracking that down. My Mac does change monitor setup quite a bit (laptop into TB dock with monitor connected) so a bug related to that would cause issues. Awesome!

Assuming this bug does have the same underlying cause as the other one, it’s fixed in Vuo 2.4.1.

You’ll need to re-export your FxPlugs from Vuo 2.4.1 for the fix to take effect.

If anyone still sees “A plug-in is not responding” errors or crashes with an FxPlug exported from Vuo 2.4.1 or later, please let us know.