Custom nodes can't use run-path-dependent dynamic libraries (@rpath)

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Download and unzip dylibtest_20210623.zip, a simple node class that depends on a dylib.
  2. In Terminal, cd to the dylibtest folder and run make. This compiles the dylib and places it and the node class in the User Modules folder.
  3. Run test.vuo.

The composition stops immediately, with log message:

# pid=58058  t=  0.1573s     VuoCompositionLoader.cc:452                         loadResourceDylib()  The composition couldn't be replaced because the library '/Users/jaymie/Library/Caches/org.vuo/Jaymie.vuo-git/User/libVuoModuleCache-installed-POU6.dylib' couldn't be loaded : dlopen(/Users/jaymie/Library/Caches/org.vuo/Jaymie.vuo-git/User/libVuoModuleCache-installed-POU6.dylib, 2): Library not loaded: @rpath/libfoo.dylib

Have you found a workaround?

Put in an absolute path instead of using @rpath. In this example, in Makefile, I would change…

clang -dynamiclib -install_name @rpath/libfoo.dylib libfoo.c -o libfoo.dylib

… to …

clang -dynamiclib -install_name "/Users/jaymie/Library/Application Support/Vuo/Modules/libfoo.dylib" libfoo.c -o libfoo.dylib

Since my username is in the path, this only works when using the node on my own system. I couldn’t distribute the node to other people unless they recompiled or ran install_name_tool on the dylib.

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.3.2

dylibtest_20210623.zip (4.43 KB)

Fixed in Vuo 2.4.0.

1 Like