`Fetch Image` reads 16bpc RGBA images as 8bpc

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Use Fetch Image to read a 16 bit Tiff / PNG etc
  2. Get info about the type of image in Vuo
  3. Vuo reads 16 bit files as 8 bit

Other notes

• Vuo version: 1.2.3
  • macOS version: OS X 10.9
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from completing a specific task with Vuo.

Attached screenshots

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 10.03.51 am.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 10.03.59 am.png

I am wanting to use Vuo to remap the UV of an image using a custom UV map generated with PTGui. To be able to do this Vuo needs to be able to read 16 bit image files. Currently it reads them as 8 bit.

I looked into the source of Vuo and read that FreeImage isn’t able to process RGBAF as 16 bit yet. Is there an update to FreeImage? Otherwise I can simply remove the Alpha channel and process that separately.

GitHub Vuo mentions that FreeImage needs to be 3154, current stable release of FreeImage is: 3170. Does this update change this behaviour?

Thanks for reporting, @alexmitchellmus.

Confirmed that Vuo 1.2.3 reads 16bpc RGBA PNGs into 8bpc images.

Vuo 1.2.3 does correctly read 16bpc RGB PNGs. So as you said, removing the alpha channel would be a workaround.

And as you suggested, updating Vuo to use FreeImage 3170 may be a fix. FreeImage just added support for 16bpc RGBA PNGs in that version.

Would you mind attaching one or two of the images that aren’t working correctly? Just want to make sure we test the fix on them.

Here is an example of a 16bit image with alpha which reads as 8 bit in Vuo currently

1 Like

Is it a vase or is it two people talking? ;) Thanks for posting the image.

;-) I mistakenly exported the 180-360° in PTGui with antialiasing- so don’t try using the above image for uv-remapping! Right now it’s just a nice and colourful image of two people talking about a vase! (In 16bit with alpha)

I did work out that PTGui can export without antialiasing: PTGui calls that mode nearest neighbour.  

You guys know I don’t rock the technical backgrounds but will the FreeImage 3170 update also allow nice 16 bit generated gradients ? Right now in 8 bit I can’t do a lot with those :(

Hey @Bodysoulspirit. Yes it looks like its pushing out an image that is 8 bit. That’s up to Team Vuo to work out if that is a bug or not, but having a 8/16 menu should/could be standard? If you want a nice gradient today, then simply use a Make Radial Gradient Layer, not Image- then render the layer at 16 bit.

Here is a comp, press spacebar to see the 8 v’s 16 bit.  

8vs16_Gradient.vuo (5.23 KB)

Hey Alex ;)

Thanks.
You sure ?
I tried pressing the spacebar as often as I could but did not notice any difference ?

Here is a screenshot of another composition, left and middle are Vuo Radial Image or Radial Layer, right image is made with vector app sketch and exported as png.

Radial Gradient 8bit.vuo (3.32 KB)

It does work, just look at the output of select latest

Actually @Bodysoulspirit, something is strange going on, because I can’t reproduce your issue in Vuo:

Looks like it may be a GPU issue? What GPU are you running?

Totale agree it changes to 16 bit with render layers to image set to 16 but when the images are set to each other I can’t see a difference though can you ?
As compared to the exported PNG.

1 Like

Damn yeah your 16 image screenshot looks great.

Must be my HD 3000 gpu :(

Understand. So you are getting the issue even in 16 bit mode! Does the gradient I posted above look ok on your monitor? If so that was generated with Vuo running with the x4000 ATI GPU drivers. Are you on Intel GPU?

I think you have grounds to post a bug report… something must be going on in that HD3000 driver! (mind you the issue may not be Vuo at all- may be the driver!)

The screenshot looks good.
Closer to the Sketch PNG I exported. Way smoother then the Layer rendered in 16 bit in Vuo for me.

Ok will submit a bug report, hope it can be fixed.

Thanks

Fixed in Vuo 1.2.4.