Fire periodically and OS Monterey on ARM Mac

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. I take the demo patch “Show Web Page”
  2. add the node Fire Periodically (input seconds 0,07)
  3. Connect to Re-render
  4. On my old computer (2012) with Mojave it runs perfectly. I can see the animations/movies on my website
  5. But not on my M1 MacBook Pro with Monterey. The website loads but after a short time the animation/movie get black,

Have you found a workaround?

no

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.4.1
  • macOS version: macOS 12
  • CPU: arm64
  • Have you been able to reproduce the problem? Yes, the problem occurs consistently when I follow the steps above
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from completing a specific task with Vuo.

please mail me an answer

Show Web Page.vuo.zip (1.3 KB)

Confirmed — On macOS 12.3.1 + Apple Silicon, the Make Image from Web Page node is unable to play the videos on that webpage.

We looked into it and there’s not a simple solution. The problem is due to limitations in the web browser engine (part of macOS) that Vuo uses to render a webpage to an image. To fix the problem, we’d have to use some other web browser engine to render the image. And then things get interesting because we need to make sure the browser is present on the user’s system but not go making unnecessary copies of it or increasing the size of other applications that use Vuo, so maybe Make Image from Web Page needs to check if the right version of the browser exists on the system and, if not, pop up a dialog to have the user download it.

All of that said, if your goal is really to play the videos and you have access to the files, then you can use the Play Movie node.

If you’d still like Make Image from Web Page to be able to play videos on newer Macs, then please create a feature request and mention this bug report. Although the failure to play the videos is arguably a bug rather than a missing feature, since the solution would take significant time, we’d like to see how the community would prioritize it through voting.

For this bug report, we’ll add a note to the Make Image from Web Page node documentation that it can’t always play videos embedded in webpages.

Discussion continued here.

For this bug report, we’ll add a note to the Make Image from Web Page node documentation that it can’t always play videos embedded in webpages.

Done in Vuo 2.4.2.