Get mesh values . . .

Hello VUO,

I’ve been having a great time with VUO 2.0 Beta. Especially the new UI nodes.

I am, however, missing some of the contributors nodes that are having problems in the new version. Right now I am trying to build a follow spot system using iCue mirrors in our theatre.

co.parabox has a node called ‘Get Mesh Values’ but it will not run in VUO 2.0 (the composition loader crashes immediately when I hook a mesh to it). Is there any equivalent node existing in VUO 2.0? I really need to get the data from a mesh.

Any solutions/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
William

William,

Can you give us more information on what you are trying to do with the mesh data? Is there a simple composition we can look at?

Yes, really missing Karl’s custom get mesh nodes. So many of my old composition relied on this.
A must have in so many situations ;)

But Karl works with the Unity game engine company now so I guess he won’t update nodes anymore.
However somewhere the Vuo team explained the changes node makers should apply, it didn’t seem too complicated, but the whole install QT and frameworks seem complicated for non-coders.

So, related feature requests are Edit node C code in the Vuo Editor have it do all the Qt wrangling for the node, maybe with the we could update the code directly into Vuo ourselves.

And a specific feature request : Get Mesh / Object Vertices (Points / Positions)

Or as Jean Marie said, in some situations you can create the same without those nodes, but not in all situations !  

I have attached a file with the basic idea. The input (a kinect camera), and the output (two moving mirror lights) or not hung on the same angle . . . so I need to be able to rotate the object, and then use the VUO coordinates from that rotated object to ‘map’ the output to the lights.

William

Quaternian Rotation Nov 4.vuo (12.7 KB)

Thanks! We’ll take a look.

Rather than a full recreation of the Get Mesh Values node, could your problem be solved with a hypothetical Transform Point(s) node? The idea would be to feed the points that are currently going into Make Point Mesh, and the transforms that are currently going into Make 3D Object, into the Transform Point(s) node. Does that make sense?

To solve the problem with existing nodes, maybe you could implement the point transformation with Calculate? Not sure if the math would get too complex, better suited to a C node. (With a C node, there might be functions in the Vuo node API that you could take advantage of.)

As of Vuo 2.0.0-beta3, Make Point Mesh has been deprecated and replaced with Make Points Object. Similar for other nodes that deal directly with meshes.

Transform Point and Transform Points nodes added in Vuo 2.0.0.

Cheers folks, A lot of my old comps use these Paradox nodes as well. I will try those new nodes. Transform Point and Transform Points nodes added in Vuo 2.0.0.