Math question

I looked at the GraphFunctions example, I am trying a similar concept, only I’m using Build List and a point mesh.

I’d like to create a cubic curve, something in the family of a right strophoid (or Trisectrix of Maclaurin or Conchoid of de Sluze). I can’t quite get it, how should I approach this (besides developing better math skills)? In the attached comp, I can successfully make a parabolic curve, but no success yet with the strophoid.

Trisectrix of Maclaurin

strophoid.vuo (17.9 KB)

Check out the comp here: Lerp Angle List Demo
Lerping between a circle and a line looks like what you want to achieve.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I certainly need to keep an eye on Magneson’s stuff.

Right now I’d really like to sort out how to get this equation to work with the comp I posted. I find using Build List or Process List versatile, and I know how to build onto this method and add features. So I’m trying to get a better grip on how best to take some math equation I find online, solve for y or whatever, and plug it into Vuo. I am trying to chip away at the math to understand it better (algebra/geometry/trig/vectors) hoping that once I get a couple equations to work, I’ll be able to implement some other stuff on my backburner.  

Totally understand why you want to do it mathematically. Good luck.

Yeah, I have had some luck tinkering around with the parametric modules, but those make meshes and I want to generate 2D/3D point structures. I’d love to see any math examples, especially algebra/geometry vs. trigonometry.  

Here’s a composition that may get you started.

strophoid.vuo (16 KB)

Nice to see that work. Much appreciated, @jmcc. If you have a public source for the formula, I’d love to have a look. Might have some clues for manipulating transformations like this.  

We found the formula on the page you referenced, right strophoid. It’s the third equation, beneath the “The parametric form of the strophoid is” heading.

Oh, duh. I tried a bunch of variations at the time, missed that combination, I guess. Thanks again!