1. create protocol composition
  2. attempt to use mouse
  3. system will not allow data from window to flow to mouse

Have you found a workaround?

No.

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.3.2
  • macOS version: macOS
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from completing a specific task with Vuo.

I would put this in between the top two rankings of severity…more like, “bordering” on preventing me from using it at all.

The file attachment is meant to demonstrate why a user would find it to be a bug to not be able to access mouse coordinates while creating a protocol comp. The node used to create the main part of the filter clearly has mouse coordinates as part of its own protocol, and is also one of the only ways to create a filter from scratch inside of the VUO editor. Therefore, a protocol comp should expose access to mouse data.

single pass canny edge.vuo (5.62 KB)

@George_Toledo,

There is a feature request for Pointer Interaction Protocol. On that feature request we note: “The Image Generator and Image Filter protocols are specifically for noninteractive rendering, so [we] don’t think it would make sense to add mouse interaction to those protocols…the solution is to add a new protocol…”

We’re closing this as “Not a bug.” You can add any use cases for when you might want to use an interaction protocol on that feature request.

VUO is a system for creating interactive things, right?

Image generators are something VUO team believes suggests “non interactive”? When they are a protocol within a system that purports to be for creating interactive things? Interesting.

Image filters are non interactive? I don’t think modern image filter implementations suggest non interactivity.

But let’s sidestep that for a moment.

Does it make sense that VUO is rendering a window and no info can be obtained for that window? That was an implementation choice that breaks the VUO system.