no (apparent) way to clear buffer in 3d object scene

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. attempt to construct 3D object based scene
  2. no access to write to clear buffer, or other buffers, such as depth. No ability to “get” buffers and do things with them.
  3. background is automatically black, for some reason(!)

Have you found a workaround?

no

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.3.2
  • macOS version: macOS
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from using Vuo at all.

This comes close to preventing me from using VUO, but within the context of building scenes that use 3D objects.

@George_Toledo,

Is this the same as the feature request as Background Color - Clear Node, or are you referring to something else?

No, this is a bug. VUO is drawing black in the background when nothing has been set to make that happen.

Every frame starts with laying down this color, which for some reason has no accessibility.

There is no workaround to this that isn’t extremely hacky.

This is not a feature request, this is a bug report on a highly problematic implementation decision.

I would encourage the VUO team to step outside of the team perspective for a moment.

If you took any graphics creation app that people use, but visualize that the background was always black…it is possibly the best case scenario to say it is a bug. Or imagine a new graphics API release from Apple, with background always black. That would not be considered a feature request type of scenario.

It seems that only allowing clearing with black in the creation of a system which people are supposed to be able to use to create visuals is a day one type decision one makes to get something going, and forgets to go back to fix.

There are a list of objects that connect to a window. But black isn’t one of those objects. It is injected in the scene without the user doing it.

If it is an “on purpose” decision…is it that everyone is supposed to like black? Is it kind of like the inability to control colors with point data? Just deal with minimal color capability?

I respect that this may be an issue where there is not agreement, and in my attempts to support my argument I mean no disrespect or ill will.  

We are merging this into Background Color - Clear Node.