Observations on Work flow and possible feature requests

I’ll seperate these into 3 catagories. Sorry for the long winded thread.

INPUT PARAMETERS

1. I was going to ask about “Generic Port” defining before 1.2.4 came out, seems in 1.2.4 Vuo moved in the opposite direction than where I was hoping, with having to define port types before node is connected. Before, if you plugged a Curve node into a port it would define itself based on the destination, now you have to define it prior. I find with my work flow, having to change port types all the time, wouldn’t it be more effecient to just auto define based on the destination node port type? Would save me time I know that for sure. Same with using Image vs. Shader. if you were using an image but switch to a shader, you have to reset the port type then re-define it, then connect,… couldn’t this be auto-accomplished by just connecting the input node (1 step vs 3)?

2. scaling input values. if using 3D transform, it scales to .1 values. but if you add a share value node before it to send that data to multiple destinations, the scaling switches to whole numbers. would be great to add a scaling factor to all parameter nodes maybe?

3. move item in list position (varible rather than just 1st or last.) example: I have a process list of layers, and I want to drag #5 to be #2 and bump #2 and the rest down etc I havent been able to find a way to do this.

4. recording OSC or any other live data input parameters to a file, so it could be played back later.

5. Shift click to select multiple nodes vs what it is now.

6. “Command Enter” opens the node library. could just “Command Enter” when Node Library is open close it?

EDITOR

1. as my compositions get more complex, i’m really dying for QC style Macros. I’ve tried to make subcompositions work, but between the issue with event firing passthru and file paths not loading, I’ve spent more time trying to get the subcomp to work properly and usually ended up scraping it and just having a extremely large editor. would really love to just highlight a group of nodes and collapse them into a macro.

2. Saving a default composition to auto load at startup (with user defined colors for nodes)

EXPORTS

1. Export composition to movie, would be great to be able to add audio to the export process, along with transparency options.

2. Multiple GPU options

3. Export as App, published ports as input parameters in apps. I know this has been discussed and split off to multiple feature requests, not sure where it stands right now.

4. Network Tools, more options for sending data over IP/UDP/TCP/unicast/multicast etc, like QC Network utilities ( i know this is a feature request as well I believe, just throwing it out there.)

Ok think that’s all I got, thanks for reading this.

sean

Some comments I might be wrong though :

Number 3 : Already exist : Allow items in drawers to be reordered + Drag a cable to a drawer between 2 items to automatically add an item at that position (and reorder older items).

Number 6 : The problem with hit enter again if open to close is that it will remove the fact that hitting enter again automatically selects the search text and therefore you might have to manually select the search text to search a new one which will be time consuming too. I’d rather have a alt+command+enter option IMHO. Or as you suggest, show/hide with enter and get another key to auto select the search text.
There is also already a FR for an autohide option Option to hide Node Library more easily

Macros and sub compositions. Yeah. There are several FR about that, local subcompsotions etc. I got lost a bit too in all those, a local collapse into macro like QC, the basic easy way would be great !

Export movie with audio : In File > Export > Movie, support exporting movies with audio and Enable composition’s “Start Recording” menu item to record audio  

2 Likes

@bodysoulspirit

thanks the comments.

Number 3, I see what you are saying, I guess I meant more in terms of in the rendered window using “mouse drags on Layers”. I have a bunch of layers that represent items in a process list. and I’d like to reorder the process list based on actully dragging the layers in an app GUI, not the editor.

Number 6. if node library defaulted to the search field when opened might make more efficient, since if selecting a node you have to click regardless,. why click on search tab?  

I do see that 1.2.5 went back to auto defining (curve to modifier etc) port type from desitination.

thanks for that!

My in general, my thread was supposed to be more of a “personal observations” regarding my work flow and wether or not others felt the same way, some of my ideas for streamlining could be possibly benificial. wasn’t really thinking FR for every observation etc, just discussion/dialog.  

Thanks, @Bodysoulspirit, for pointing to some relevant feature requests. I’ll add some more for the record…

Number 3, I see what you are saying, I guess I meant more in terms of in the rendered window using “mouse drags on Layers”. I have a bunch of layers that represent items in a process list. and I’d like to reorder the process list based on actully dragging the layers in an app GUI, not the editor.

@seanradio, do you mean like Position/orient 3D objects by using the mouse on the rendered output but for layers? Were you thinking of moving nodes just in 2D space (x,y) or also reordering which one is on top of which (z)? (For the latter, perhaps a view like GitHub - chinmaygarde/hierarchydetective: The Missing View Hierarchy Debugger that shows the layers in 3D space?)

recording OSC or any other live data input parameters to a file, so it could be played back later.

Node that records data to a text file and plays it back (chosen to be implemented)

Number 6. if node library defaulted to the search field when opened might make more efficient, since if selecting a node you have to click regardless,. why click on search tab?

Cmd-Enter already puts keyboard focus on the search field when you open the Node Library. Or am I missing something?

Export as App, published ports as input parameters in apps. I know this has been discussed and split off to multiple feature requests, not sure where it stands right now.

A UI for storing and editing published input port values (open for voting)

Network Tools, more options for sending data over IP/UDP/TCP/unicast/multicast etc, like QC Network utilities ( i know this is a feature request as well I believe, just throwing it out there.)

Send and receive data via TCP and UDP (open for voting)

@seanradio, I know you said you weren’t necessarily thinking of feature requests, but I’d encourage you anyway to vote on the feature requests that you consider most important (I see you’ve already voted on a few), because votes are the number one way for Team Vuo to gauge community interest in a feature request.

Anything you’d like to say about why these particular feature requests are the top ones for you? For example, what kinds of projects are you typically making in Vuo, or what is your workflow?