Performance issues/crashes on multiple Mac/MacOS/OS X versions

I’m having some weird issues regarding the composition posted below.

It’s developed on a MBPr mid 2012:

• MacOS Sierra
  • 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

It runs oke at around 40-50 fps. (Had a couple of chrashes though when hitting ‘Run’ during the development.)
The composition window became really slow when the size of the composition increased, like frustrating slow.
Running both Vuo 1.2.4 and 1.2.5 I noticed no difference.

The problem is that when trying it to run on another Mac (I have acces to a variety for the actual production) it causes a complete crash of OS X. I actually need to reboot the whole Mac. Both Vuo 1.2.4 and 1.2.5

Specs:

MBPr mid 2015

• OS X El Capitan
  • 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Mac Mini late 2014

• OS X Yosemite
  • 2,8 GHz Intel Core i5
  • 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • Intel Iris 1536 MB

iMac 5K late 2015

• OS X Yosemite
  • 4 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • AMD Radeon R9 M95X 4096 MB

Is this related to my composition?
No doubt that it can be made lighter, but causing a complete crash raises some eyebrows.

Some additional information about the composition:

• Inputting 10 Arduino’s over serial (also tested without the Arduino’s, no difference)
  • Inputting one variable over OSC
  • Outputting multiple OSC messages (tested without outputting OSC, no difference)
  • Creating 9 gradients with constant animating and combining them in one Syphon output to Resolume Arena (tested without running Arena, no difference)

COMPOSITION_V01.vuo (290 KB)

@casdekker, thanks for reporting the crashes on the AMD Radeon and Intel Iris graphics cards. We (Team Vuo) are also seeing crashes with your composition on an AMD Radeon HD 5770. Looks like the same problem as X4000 graphics driver crashes. The fix requires a lot of rewriting of Vuo’s graphics code, which we are in the midst of now, and are planning to release in Vuo 1.3.

To avoid the Vuo Editor slowing down, you could use subcompositions (manual/tutorial). From a bird’s eye view, it looks like your composition has several repeated parts. If you turned one of those into a subcomposition, and replaced each repeated part with a subcomposition node, that would greatly reduce the number of nodes and cables displayed in the composition window at one time. This should fix the sluggish interactions, plus reduce the time the Run button spins before running the composition and make the composition easier to understand and change. Anyway, you may want to keep an eye on this bug report: Editor becomes very slow with large compositions.

@jstrecker , thanks for validating. Any word on a possible timeframe for a fix in the release of Vuo 1.3?

As you recommended I placed the repeating parts in a subcomposition. (Retested across systems, no change in crashes)
It made the main composition more workable, however still sluggish.
It also presented another issue:

In the subcomposition are two Smooth with Duration nodes which animate the start and end of a lineair gradient. A few seconds after starting the main composition the ‘Position’ of the Smooth with Duration nodes stops. (Again, it runs for the first couple of seconds) The ‘Time’ that is being put into the Smooth with Duration node is still running. The ‘Target’ is not reached and I tried it with both the ‘Time’ coming from within the subcomposition and from a published input port.

When running the subcomposition as a composition on its own, everything works fine.

triph.vuo (32.2 KB)

COMPOSITION_V02.vuo (117 KB)

After some investigation, I created a bug report for the Smooth with Duration you encountered: Composition freezes with certain structure of triggers + feedback loops. See the part about a workaround.

I don’t have a very good answer for your question about timeframe for fixing the graphics-related crashes, sorry. For the past several months, we’ve been working on features/fixes that were originally planned for Vuo 1.3 and releasing the smaller or more self-contained ones in the 1.2.x versions. Since the graphics changes are complicated, they’re still planned for Vuo 1.3. I expect that will be some months away.