Rss get is so slow

Steps causing the bug to occur

Rss get is so slow :(

How did the result differ from what you expected?

1 minute to get info where Quartz need 1 second.

Other notes

• Vuo version: 1.0.1

Here is a small screencast I made of both Quartz and Vuo loading the same RSS

The Vuo Composition is the Get RSS sample composition provided.

Notice:

• How long the Vuo app needs to open :(
  • I only start the quartz composition after the Vuo app starts
  • How long the Vuo RSS needs :(

But perhaps I’m doing something wrong …

Vuo’s Fetch RSS Items node automatically fetches all of the RSS feed’s images for you when it receives an event, but Quartz Composer’s RSS Importer node doesn’t load any images for you. It looks like, downstream in your QC composition, you’re loading the images and displaying them one-by-one.

I tested on an RSS feed without images (in Vuo you can set the Fetch Images port to false), and then the performance is similar between Vuo and QC.

We designed Fetch RSS Images to load all of the images at the beginning, thinking that would be easier to understand and make it easier to implement typical use cases. If you need the alternate QC-style workflow where you load images one-by-one, we could take a look at implementing that as an option.

I have been checking the “synchronous download” options “on” for both the “rss importer” and the “image importer” in the quartz composition and set the maximum cache to 15 Mo …

If I deactivate these, then the quartz composition loads even faster and there is a slight delay between the text change and the image change because it then only loads the image when the item is changed . . . I always tought “synchronous download” downloaded the images at start, but I can be wrong.

Yeah perhaps it could be an option in the future for your fetch Rss node. But you’re right with the fact that downloading all the images on fire event is often easier when it comes to develop a composition.

In Vuo 1.2, we gave Fetch RSS Items a new port called Fetch Images, which controls whether to download an image associated with each feed item — so now you have the choice of either prefetching all images (possibly easier to work with), or fetching each image on-demand (possibly more efficient).