Simple text scrolling is not consistent or smooth

Hi I am trying to make a simple text element scroll across the screen, however, quite often it looses the smoothness to the animation and looks a bit jerky, the attached video the effect is not as bad as I have observed, however, even this lack of smoothness is a big problem for me, is there a fix for this?

the attached comp does have a test and only scrolls if the string is longer than a certain length, however the cpu load is around 20% so I can’t understand why its glitching like this…

thanks for your help!

Now playing dev 720.vuo (16.5 KB)

@grahamis, can you please share the version of Vuo you are using, your macOS version, and your HW graphics card? Thanks.

Vuo 1.25
OSX 10.2.2 (16c67)
Late 2016 Mac book pro
Radeon Pro 460 4GB
Intel HD 530 1536

We’ve noticed some problems with graphics drivers that are fixed in Vuo 1.2.6 apha2 (https://vuo.org/releases). Please try that and tell us if you notice improvement.

1 Like

Same for me.

Smooth text scrolling was already a subject in QC, I remember one guy that found a workaround using Java code to smooth scroll.
Made a simple composition, not smooth for me neither, actually it seems the text is smoother with the original window size, gets worse when I resized it (not even sure).
Even turned off multisampling.
This happens for big texts but also with smaller font sizes.

My HD 3000 is old but I would hope recent Macs would handle this.
It runs at 59/60 FPS though and the cpu load is low too.
Tested in Vuo 1.2.6

Does this happen for all Macs ? Or would @grahamis his GPU fallback some graphics to the CPU too like the HD 3000 bug and be the cause for non smooth text scrolling ?

Vids and composition below

Big Text Scroll not Smooth.vuo (5.02 KB)

I just tried Big Text Scroll not Smooth.vuo and it runs smooth here. Vuo 1.2.6.

1 Like

@Kewl well glad this seem related to some GPU’s only at least !

Still smooth after you changed the window size and ratio ?  

Yes, still. Tried on another computer, still smooth.

@Kewl ok great, thanks for testing ;)

Aha, looks like the issue is not graphics slowness, but a side effect of the way that Make Text Layer renders sharp text.

Make Text Layer snaps the text to pixels so that it’s totally sharp rather than blurred across pixels. However, as your composition points out, this can interact weirdly with scrolling text across the window. To keep the text sharp, Make Text Layer causes the text to jump from one pixel to the next. Depending on how the scrolling events line up in time with pixels in space, the text could actually move 1px or 2px or 0px on a given display refresh. Hence the jerky motion.

If you remove Make Text Layer and just use Make Text Image — which, when combined with Make Image Layer non-realsize, does not snap to pixels — that should be smoother. With the attached composition, if you slow down the scrollers and zoom in, you can see the pixels gradually fade in and out as it moves along.

Now playing dev 720 c.vuo (16.7 KB)

1 Like

Would anyone have some advice on converting the “Big Text Scroll not Smooth.vuo” file so it outputs to an Image Generator for VDMX instead of the Vuo Window. I tried to make the conversion but was unable to do it. The scroller is very smooth on my iMac Pro. Thanks! Randall  

@rpacker it’s somehow the same as this comment, you can edit the protocol mode from the edit menu, then, render the layers to an image for the protocol mode uses an image as an output to communicate with VDMX.

Try something like the joined composition ?

Big Text Scroll IG.vuo (6.68 KB)

Thanks for the suggestion but the scrolling patch you have attached is not complete and doesn’t work. Is there a working version of this patch?

I’ve just tried it in Vuo 2 beta and it works for me.

When I opened the document ‘Big Text Scrol IG.vuo’ in version 1.28, many of the input/outputs were not connected and a few had hatch marks. Does this patch only work in Version 2.0?

@rpacker,

Since you have a current Vuo license, you should be able to download and run the Vuo 2.0 beta Community Edition from the download page. The links are at the bottom of the page.

Thank you Jean Marie! I just installed the Community Edition of Vuo and yes, the Big Scroll works great in Vuo. However, when I loaded it into a media bin in VDMX, I received an error message (see attachment). It looks like it is ready for VDMX since it has all the appropriate Image Generator inputs and outputs. Is there anything else that needs to be changed to the patch to make it compatible with VDMX?

Randall

Ah, maybe due to the fact that VDMX needs to update to the new Vuo.

Problem is in Vuo 2 you can use that 'Get Layer Bounds" node to calculate the text min & max scrolling.
In Vuo 1.2.8 it’s trickier, maybe try this quick test composition joined here (where the orange nodes create a duplicate text image used to calculate the layer width depending on the window size). May need some tweaks depending on your display resolution etc.  

Big Text Scroll IG - Vuo 1.2.8 - 1.1.vuo (8.67 KB)

@bodysoulspirit… thanks for the new version of the Big Text Scroll. This one loads in VDMX and has all the appropriate controls, but the text doesn’t show up in the VDMX window. It works fine though with the Vuo Window. I’m quite new at Vuo so I am not sure what tweaking would be involved in getting it to work.

A scrolling text composition that can be used in VDMX has been added to the composition gallery.