Sound reactive explosions inconsistent

Steps causing the bug to occur

It appears that there is inconsistent behavior in my composition. I’m not sure if it’s the in the Explode 3D Object or the sound input. The sound reactive seems to lag behind the input source by almost second. Also sometimes the explosions are working perfectly then just stop working or the ball just sitting there with pieces flying all around it with no explosion. I’ve included the composition.

How did the result differ from what you expected?

Expected more of a consistent explosion and input.

Have you found a workaround?

Nope

Other notes

  • Vuo version: 0.8.0
  • macOS version: OS X 10.9

DzSpherical.vuo.zip (2.81 KB)

There’s an inability to change the variables in the realtime Explode 3D object as well. I have to stop and run each time when I change the variables.

Also for some reason a newer version I’ve been working on is building 2 scene windows when there’s only one Render Scene to Window Object.

I figured out that there was another Render Scene to Window directly under the one that was already there. DOH! Don’t know how that got there.

Architeck1,

There is a lot going on in your composition!

I think part of your problem may be your input to the time port of “Explode 3D Object.” The explosion should start at a value of 0. The object will continue to explode as long as the time input port receives increasing values. I’ve included a simpler composition that uses a “Measure Time” node to start and reset the time input port. In this composition, the object will continue to explode as long as loudness is above .2. Hope that’s helpful.

explode_sphere_by_sound.vuo (6.82 KB)

I like what you did there for sure. I’m still getting inconsistent behavior though. The first time I ran your composition I could see it, now when I run it just explodes once and that’s it.

Depending on the amount of ambient noise in the room, you might need to adjust the trigger threshold. Look at the Is within Range node on the left. Run the composition and inspect the value going into it, and choose a value slightly higher than the average. (In my room, which has a fan running, I had to change the minimum from 0.2 to 0.5 for it to trigger reliably.)

You are correct :) Thanks. I will definitely be putting this to use.