switching output w/o sending value . . .

Hello team VUO and users,

I’m hoping someone can help me with this as it’s driving me a bit crazy . . . and maybe I’m missing the obvious. As I’m building more UI compositions switching outputs to various ports becomes valuable. However, the ‘Select Output’ nodes do not have the option to change the output without sending the current ‘In’ value. As I’m using VUO to control devices, this creates problems.

I would really like to be able to switch output (sending no value) and then make changes to the ‘In’ which are sent to the selected output.

I have attached a very simple to composition that has a ‘Select Output’ node with a ‘In’ value of ‘56’. I would like to be able to switch the output between ‘Option 1’ and ‘Option 2’ without sending the value (56).

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

William

Question for VUO II.vuo (4.43 KB)

1 Like

Not on a mac right now, but I assume a workaround could be to feed the select node to a “Hold Value” node. Then for the output of each node going to the select node, add an “Allow Changes” node and send the output of those to the trigger/update port of the hold node. A caveat would be that if you change the value of the input that is not selected, the hold node would change to the current value of the selected input.

To maintain concurrency in the graph you might have to send the allow changes output to the select node, and then use a “Spin Off Event” node to fire the events for the hold node (but I’m not sure about this).

Alternatively you could delay the switching of the port until you changed the value in the same manner, not sure about what would be more tidy and/or efficient.

And I assume “Select Latest” isn’t working in this scenario?

If I understand correctly, you could just insert a Hold Value in front of the Select Output.

Question for VUO II - Hold.vuo (4.87 KB)