Text layers don't scale like other layers.

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Run attached test composition and look at text… it doesn’t scale like other layers.

Have you found a workaround?

The only work around I’ve found is by converting text to an image first. But this isn’t as desirable because it requires many more nodes to ensure the image being created is at sufficient scale to the resolution of the output monitor or window to not produce scaling artifacts.

Other notes

• Vuo version: 1.2.2
  • macOS version: OS X 10.11
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from completing a specific task with Vuo.

As you can see in the attached composition all layers except text layers scale properly.

There is a project I am doing for work that requires me to dynamically change the X-Axis scale of text depending on the number of characters in the text string. Since I am unable to change the scale of a text layer it has become difficult to actually do this part of the project effectively. I tried changing the text to an image first as mentioned above but I’m not 100% happy with the results of this work around yet… still playing though. I hope this can be made to work properly while remaining a layer because I think that would be the best and proper solution. I hope you can help.

Scaling Text Issue.zip (2.32 MB)

Currently, text layers (Make Text Layer) behave like real-size layers (Make Layer), in that both ignore rotation and scaling so that the text/image remains sharp.

But since you brought up Font - Horizontal/Vertical Scale options, we realized we might be able to use a similar trick to achieve sharp text with scaling and rotation. We’ll investigate.

Did this ever get implemented somehow in version 1.2.2? It still doesn’t work in the above composition so I’m thinking maybe not. I’m just looking for a way still to scale text in a layer and keep it sharp and readable. Thanks.

Hey @cwilms-loyalist ;)

I can’t wait for this to be implemented too !

So far when I want the text to scale depending on the screen size or window size, I use this workaround as shown below (joining the composition).
But you surely already are aware of this technique.

But I still can’t wait for auto-scaling (optional or as a separate scaled make text layer node) though to avoid these extra nodes !

Scale Font On Window Workaround.png

Scale Font Size On Layer Height.vuo (3.77 KB)

@cwilms-loyalist, no, this is not yet implemented. (The “Vuo 1.2.2” in the bug report description is when it was reported.)

@Bodysoulspirit, thanks for pointing out a workaround.

Is there an update on this, will Text Layer scaling be implemented or possibly a margin attribute added. I’m also unsure about text wrapping, I don’t see this happening with long sentences or paragraphs?

@2bitpunk, no updates, but we haven’t forgotten about this issue. We’ll see if we can fit it into Vuo 1.3.

(I see you found the feature request for text wrapping.)  

That would be great if you can fit it into 1.3! It’s going to really help dictate how I approach this next project coming up.

Resolved in Vuo 2.0 beta.

I’ve been playing with this a little. Looks great!