V2.0 crashing on start up . . .

Hello VUO team,

First thank you for 2.0. I have been looking forward to this release, and I’m excited to introduce it to my students in January.

A problem though . . . I have downloaded the beta version of 2.0, and finding that it crashes about 2 seconds into the opening sequence. The splash screen comes up, and then nothing. Occasionally I have been able to get it running from a restart of my laptop, but once it crashes on opening, it will not run again.

Some info:

• I have the ‘professional’ version of Vuo 2.0

• macOS High Sierra V10.13.6

Please let me know further information I could send you that would be helpful in tracking down this problem.

William

Hi! I had the same problem and Jaymie told me what to do.

think the problem may be related to one or more of the community nodes you have installed. Could you please do the following?

- Navigate to your User Library folder, as explained here: https://doc.vuo.org/2.0.0-beta1/manual/installing-a-node.xhtml
- Move that folder (Modules) onto the Desktop.
- Launch Vuo 2.0.0 beta.

If that fixes the crash, could you please zip up your Modules folder and send it to me? My coworkers and I would like to figure out which node led to the problem.

Or if you’d like to figure it out yourself, you can try moving your nodes back into the User Library a few at a time, and see at what point Vuo crashes.

2 Likes

Thank you. That was definitely the issue. Once I moved the ‘User Library Folder’ all is working as it should. I spent some time moving nodes back into the library one at a time, and did experience the crash problem again, but it isn’t clear if its community nodes or my version 1.2 sub-compositions that are causing the crash. I will do some more exploring before I upload the whole folder.

But again, thank you for getting me up and running.

William

1 Like

More information on third-party node status and Vuo 2.0 beta is now posted.

I didn’t have any third party nodes, only sub-compositions from 1.2.
None were precious to me and removing them has fixed the 2.0 launch crashes.

We fixed quite a few crashes during the Vuo 2.0.0 beta testing period. If you still run into crashes when launching Vuo, please post a bug report.

(Even if there’s some problem with the nodes/subcompositions you have installed, ideally Vuo should only show an error dialog, not crash.)