Very slow performance even on high spec machines

HI everyone,

I made an audio reactive composition for a gig last weekend and am quite confused by the performance issues ive been having.

It runs fine off my 2 machines. (one is a MBP 15" 2.6GHz i7 running Yosemite, the other is much older MBP 2.66GHz intel core 2 duo running el capitan)

However i tried running the same composition on 2 much more highly specced machines (one a fairly new mac pro, the other a new retina MBP - don’t have specs to hand right now) and they were struggling to push 4 fps.)

I saw a post somewhere which said something about shade with colour having problems with AMD graphics cards - is this still an issue? I tried dicosnnecting the shaders and this improved performance quite a bit on the mac pro (less so on the MBP) but was still not usuable.

Fine if i need to send some more details/specs - this is all i have to hand right now. -just thought i’d put it out there see if im missing somehting obvious.

Cheers,

Justin

@meno Hi Meno !

It runs fine off my 2 machines.

What FPS does they run on your 2 machines ? Perhaps also join the GPU’s of those 2 machines you own ?

I made an audio reactive composition for a gig last weekend and am quite confused by the performance issues ive been having.
However i tried running the same composition on 2 much more highly specced machines (one a fairly new mac pro, the other a new retina MBP - don’t have specs to hand right now) and they were struggling to push 4 fps.)

So you mean the compositions issued bad performances at the show on those 2 recent machines (Mac Pro + Retina MPB) or was it a separate test after the show ?
It would be great to have the specs of the machines the compositions ran slow on !
If I’m right only the 15" MBP retina has an AMD, the 13" has an IntelHD.

It’s also very hard to help without the composition. Could be much going on. Perhaps file this as a bug report instead and send the composition to the team by email if you rather not want to share it publicly ;)

Sorry I couldn’t help more.

1 Like

Hi thanks fro your reply bodysoulspirit,

The compositions ran slow on:

Mac Pro, 3.7GHz quad-core intel xeon E5, AMD firepro D300 (OS X 10.10.5)
MBP retina 2.8GHz intel core i7, Intel Iris 1536, (OS X 10.11.3)

The plan was to use the mac pro for the playback during the show - it never occurred to me that such a powerful machine would not be able to play the composition.

I have uploaded the big report with the composition i question on the bug report page.

@meno Oops hope the team won’t hate me ! I have been speaking too fast about file a bug report, actually meant file a bug report instead if you don’t want to share the composition publicly and send them the composition by email beside. Now we got 2 posts but anyway, they will abandon on merge the 2 discussions if needed. Sorry team ;)

Just looked at your comp ! Much stuff ;) Runs at +/- 30 fps on my MBP Intel HD 3000 (which is a bad GPU).
Guess the composition has some extra events going on and could be enlighten a little bit but if you say it runs fine on your computer there is still something about different results depending on the computer.

Some more questions :

• When you say it runs fine on my computer, at how many fps does it run ?
  • Where there any changes made between the composition tried on the computers or were they strictly the same ?
  • How were the compositions launched ? As exported mac apps or did you open them with Vuo on each computer ?

Will try to take a more advanced look in your comp.

@meno I’ve been trying to remove some unnecessary cables and some unused nodes to understand your composition better for me.
I can post it here if you want, perhaps for the team to go through or wathever.

When setting a lower amount of vertices for the copied spheres I could gain fps from 30 up to 55 fps. Setting the rows and columns of the spheres to 10 - 15, as they are quite small is not so obvious.

You also have a lot of different parameters for each settings, I just tried to remake your composition from scratch, with fewer parameters, pretty much the same results but not 100% close. Thing is I’m using only 1/4 of the amount of nodes so perhaps sometimes a balance have to be find between the amount of nodes and group the same parameters instead of going wild.
GPU’s have some limits though !

Anyway, I’m not saying there is no bug, especially since you are having lower results on higher spec machines. During the remake I also encountered some possible bug with “Make Points Mesh” on my GPU. It dropped down to 3 fps, but I must locate the bug.

Keep also in mind that Karl’s Get Mesh Value is a custom node, not part of the official release so you may encounter some bugs with it too (I love Karl’s nodes btw and couldn’t live with it ;)).

Anyway, joining my remake, perhaps it may help though (has no beat detection though).

Remake1.0.vuo (14.4 KB)

@meno, I commented on your bug report. Thanks for providing specs. (@Bodysoulspirit, thanks for initial troubleshooting.)

I saw a post somewhere which said something about shade with colour having problems with AMD graphics cards - is this still an issue?

You might be thinking of Many events dropped by composition that changes the color of a 3D object (fixed in 1.2.0) and/or X4000 graphics driver crashes (AMD Radeon HD 7970, AMD FirePro D300, D500, D770, AMD Radeon R9 M380 27" iMac)).  

2 Likes

Haha :)

I :
Blablablablablablaablablaabla.

Jaymie :
Confirmed, will investigate !

I’m opening a community poll : Do you think Bodysoulspirit speaks too much ?

• Answer A : No.
  • Answer B : Yes.
  • Answer C : Please don’t make a poll.

Vote to win some peace of mind ;)