Vuo 128 - 203 many objects FPS difference - Front to Back ?

Steps causing the bug to occur

Joined is a composition with quite many vertices, about 50k, as a line object.
In Vuo 128 it ran at 60 fps on my machine.

In Vuo 2, wether I open the old composition with the deprecated nodes, or update the composition with the new nodes, I get only about 10 fps.

I was wondering if this could have anything to do with how Vuo 2 renders / sorts objects front-to-end, that for fewer vertices it’s not noticeable, but with more, the calculation is being seen ?

If yes, could / should the sort option not be an option, depending if you need it or not depending ont the case ?
I don’t know if those changes where made on node code levels or on .h files, but an option would be cool.

Or maybe the problem lies somewhere else.

Thanks

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.0.3
  • macOS version: macOS 10.13
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from completing a specific task with Vuo.

Vuo 128 - 203 Difference - Front to Back ?.zip (5.52 KB)

That’s a striking composition! The problem isn’t depth sorting. In Vuo 2.0 we switched to executing 3D object filters on the CPU, since several community members found that the macOS OpenGL drivers for their systems were unreliable. "Add Noise to 3D object` is particularly expensive to do on the CPU. As we move to Metal, our goal will be for all these filters to again run on the GPU.

In the meantime, you could try to split your object into multiple objects and run the filters in parallel, reduce the number of vertices, or use another 3D object filter.

1 Like