Vuo 2.4.0 and Monterey 12.0.1

Hello

Started using Vuo 2.4.0 on my new M1 Max Macbook Pro. All working great. Noticed 2 things so far that differed between High Sierra and Monterey that I figured was worth sharing as tripped me up a little.

Make Noise Image node

Using Vuo 2.4.0 on High Sierra I had the spacing in the Make Noise Image node set to 0. On Monterey I had to set the spacing to 1 in order to see anything. Not sure if the minimum that should be allowed is 0 or 1 or if 0 is allowed and it’s a bug in Monterey, but setting to 1 rendered the same desired results visually.

Blend Images node

Using Vuo 2.4.0 on High Sierra when using the Blend Images node in the chain of nodes as shown in the attached image - I set Replace Opacity to False. On Monterey I had to set Replace Opacity to True in order to see anything.

VDMX

The speed improvements made in Vuo 2.4.0 when triggering FFGL in Resolume / VDMX have also improved the speed of triggering Vuo Comps when “run Vuo in separate processes” is checked on in VDMX. Both on my older 2015 Macbook Pro and my new M1, the improvement is very noticeable thank you.

@Joëlle, thanks for taking the time to write up your observations.

Make Noise Image node

Confirmed. It turns out that Apple Silicon GPUs give a different answer for 0 to the power of 0 than any other GPU or CPU we’ve tested! Vuo 2.4.1 will include a fix for the Make Noise Image and Make Spherical Noise Image nodes.

Blend Images node

So far we haven’t been able to reproduce this. If you run this composition (4.86 KB), does it give

? If so, is there some other composition you could share that demonstrates the problem?

VDMX

Great, thanks for letting us know!

I will confirm about the Blend Images node but I’m using it without issues so far so need to double check the nodes in the file as I suspect it was something else (or user error!)

Want to report that Change Window Screen node is causing an instant crash in Vuo 2.4.0 and Monteray 12.1 (note I have updated Monteray since my original post)

Files that were created in a previous version of Vuo that contain this node crash on open but I am able to open them Vuo 2.3.2 without issues.

Related, if I add the Change Window Screen node to a brand new file, and set the Screen to my Macbook Retina (NOT by selecting “Secondary” but selecting the display name in the dropdown) it also causes an instant crash. File attached, along with a screenshot that shows how the names of the screens have disappeared on reopening of the file.

Editing to add Get Screen Values is also causing a crash in Vuo 2.4.0 on Monteray. I am able to open it in 2.3.2 but the list of connected screens is blank in the node (see attached Vuo 2.3.2.png) and I guess because of this the Composition Loader is blank in 2.3.2  

ScreenTest.vuo (923 Bytes)

Thanks for your additional testing.

Related, if I add the Change Window Screen node to a brand new file, and set the Screen to my Macbook Retina (NOT by selecting “Secondary” but selecting the display name in the dropdown) it also causes an instant crash.

Editing to add Get Screen Values is also causing a crash in Vuo 2.4.0 on Monteray

We were able to reproduce both crashes. They turned out to have the same underlying cause as this other bug, scheduled to be fixed in the upcoming Vuo 2.4.1 release.

Want to report that Change Window Screen node is causing an instant crash in Vuo 2.4.0 and Monteray 12.1

Hmm, not sure if this is another manifestation of the bug I linked to or something different. If you’d like to post a composition and a crash report, we can check. (Does it crash immediately when you run the composition?) Or you can wait and see if it’s fixed in Vuo 2.4.1.

1 Like

In Vuo 2.4.1, we fixed the bug with Make Noise Image when Spacing=0 and at least some of the crashes related to screens.

1 Like