3D formats Drag & Drops & Blend Meshes

As spoken on Facebook here Facebook Discussion

I cannot get some 3D formats files to be drag and dropped under VUO 1.1 - OSX 10.9, and blend meshes usually don’t show up.

As far as I know:

• BLEND and STL files cannot be drag and dropped to the editor.

• However STL models will be loaded in the composition if the file URL is pasted in the node input.

• BLEND is more curious. They usually don’t show up. I got to load 1 or 2 of them (I will add them if I can find them back @Smokris)

Attached a small composition with those formats.
Models are from here: Bin, LegoBrick

3D Formats.zip (977 KB)

@Smokris

This BLEND shows up in the composition for me : http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/jaina-claus-47615.html

Perhaps because the User exported the model in another OAI format and Vuo recognizes that. Don’t know but that one loads.  

3D Formats.zip (1.33 MB)

Thanks for providing an example Blender mesh that works. I think I see the problem now.

Claus.blend was created with Blender version 2.49, and Vuo loads it successfully.

Lego.blend was created with Blender version 2.69, but Vuo doesn’t get any mesh data.

In Blender version 2.63, they switched to a new mesh format. Vuo is using OAI version 3.0, which doesn’t support this new mesh format.

OAI 3.1.1 claims to support it. I installed OAI 3.1.1 and modified Vuo to use it, and now it crashes when loading Lego.blend. Somebody else already reported this crash. And then OAI disabled support for Blender’s new mesh format.

So, until OAI’s importer for modern Blender meshes is fixed, I think the best option is to open your meshes in Blender, and re-save them with the “Legacy Mesh Format” checkbox enabled:

Lego.blend_.zip (84.2 KB)

blender-legacy.png

OAI 3.1.1 claims to support it. I installed OAI 3.1.1 and modified Vuo to use it, and now it crashes when loading Lego.blend. Somebody else already reported this crash. And then OAI disabled support for Blender’s new mesh format.

Oops, I misunderstood the change I mentioned in the last sentence — that just disabled part of the modern Blender mesh support. After applying that patch, I’ve tested several modern Blender meshes, and they’ve all loaded successfully for me. So Vuo 1.2 will include OAI 3.1.1 with modern Blender mesh support.

@smokris great ! And for STL ? Could you reproduce the bug ? Or am I doing something wrong ?

Oh, yes, I also added drag-from-Finder support for .stl and .blend meshes, now that we know that they work.

@smokris genius ;)