Background Color - Clear Node

Hey,

I was wondering if a Background Color Node would be possible in Vuo. Like the Quartz Composer’s Clear Patch.

This would prevent us from creating 3D Unlit Objects or Cubes in Scenes and Background Layers for Layer Compositions.

Perhaps it could exist as a window property ?

I don’t think a Window Property would be ideal, since I’d also like to be able to set the background color when using Render Scene to Image which doesn’t have a Window Properties port.

Instead, maybe we could add a Background Material port to all of the Render Scene/Layers to Window/Image nodes. Then you could choose transparency (current behavior), a solid color, a shader, or an image, and it would always stretch to fill the entire viewport and would always be behind everything else.

I’ve opened this feature request for community voting.

1 Like

@Smokris

Sounds good !

I had thought of a window property because I thought the black solid color was a window property :)
But you’re right about the Render to Image nodes.

As long as it is always behind objects and as long as it is the CPU/GPU lowest way to do so it’s great !

Ok great, can’t wait ;)

What about “world” material? I can see some usefullness of setting ambient lighting, background, horizon etc. The world pane in Blender with Blender render is quite nice as an example.

@martinusmagneson — Vuo already has the Make Ambient Light node to control ambient light.

Regarding skyboxes/skyspheres/horizons/etc — I envision Vuo eventually providing shader nodes for various types of environments, which you could connect to the proposed Background Material port. That’s beyond the scope of this feature request (which is for providing the ability to set a solid color or a screen-space image as the background), so please consider creating a separate feature request with the details of what you’re interested in.

I said:

we could add a Background Material port to all of the Render Scene/Layers to Window/Image nodes. Then you could choose transparency (current behavior), a solid color, a shader, or an image

…on second thought, maybe the default for window nodes should be solid black (which would match the current behavior). Setting a transparent color could make the window transparent (allowing the desktop to show through the window).

@smokris sorry I don’t really understand your answer Smokris. Could you resume the whole thought again (sorry my english is not perfect).

In my first comment (2015.06.01), I proposed adding a Background Material port to all of the Render Scene/Layers to Window/Image nodes. I suggested that the default value of that port should be a transparent color.

In my latest comment (2015.07.23), I slightly modified my original proposal. I suggested that the default value should be black instead of transparent. (Currently in Vuo, the window background is always black.) If you did change the Background Material port to transparent, it would make the window transparent, like this:

@smokris ah ok Steve, yes I don’t care what the default is, as long as it can be modified ;)

Transparant will be great ! Especially combined with the feature request to show/hide the window title bar !

Just another thought, it would be great to be able to also disable window shadows. I know that there is software that can switch this off universally on MacOS- but if we distribute an app it would be cool to be able to control this behaviour.

I can see this being very useful for screen overlays, or non-interactive screen modifiers.

@alexmitchellmus, I see you already submitted a feature request for disabling shadows. If people want to vote for it, it’s here.

Any current thoughts on this? Simple background color node, switch on/off?

(What would really be cool would be the “glitch” that Quartz Composer allowed with the clear in a render in image patch… I presume modern graphics cards “fixed” those shenanigans.)

We’re still thinking the best approach would be to add a Background Material port to all Render Scene/Layers to Window/Image nodes. As we work through the next Vuo releases, we’ll continue to look how this feature request stacks up against others with similar complexity in the voting.

For now, we’ve included two ways to add a solid background color in the compositions below.

I presume modern graphics cards “fixed” those shenanigans.

Yep. You could try Vuo’s Interpret Data as Image node to generate glitchy images.

scene-background.vuo (2.89 KB)

Colored-background.vuo (3.71 KB)

1 Like

Interpret Data as Image

Oh, yes, I am aware of that one, some nice possibilities there. Thank you!