Change Layer/Scene Opacity node

I would love to have the ability to change the opacity of a layer; either as a separate node itself or as part of the “Combined Layers” and “Combine Layers with Transform” nodes. If it were a separate node it may make sense to combine transform and opacity feature into a single node and then get rid of the “Combine Layers with Transform” node as it would be more or less redundant.

This new feature would give the ability to dissolve layers completely in and out or partially for more semi-transparent graphics over images and video.

Opened for voting.

Having an Opacity port on Combine Layers (with Transform) would be good when working with layer groups. Having a separate Change Layer Opacity node would be good in other situations (like Transform Layer / Object). Let’s have this feature request cover both.

This FR has me wondering if the same type of opacity node would be helpful for Compositing 3D scene objects as well? Currently the only way to adjust opacity on objects is by a shader node. Or by rendering the scene to an image then to layer.

1 Like

@krezrock had been asking the same (here) if I’m right and Jaymie said it could be a FR. Forgot to submit it.

Perhaps you can create it if you want ;)

EDIT : Or perhaps this FR could be renamed to “Change Opacity nodes for 3D & Layers” and include both !?  

I think one FR would get more votes than splitting it up.

@krezrockChange 3D Object Opacity node wouldn’t be that much development time beyond a Change Layer Opacity node, so I’ve updated this FR’s title to include it.

1 Like

This feature is very important to a project I am working on where I need to be able to fade in and out different layers and would really like to not need to change them to images first (lots of extra nodes and there is a real performance hit). Here’s hoping it can be a feature soon. :)

Can we get a change layer hue/brightness etc as well. Also, not encouraged to see this request is now almost four(!) years old.