Code sign and notarize exported apps

Title says it all ;)

The ability to code sign exported apps, a little prompter that would appear when exporting an app.

PS : Any coder would know if technically the mac app store would allow Vuo exported apps to be uploaded ? Or is that against some rules ?

Opened for voting.

To be clear, code-signing requires an Apple Developer account, which you’d have to purchase from Apple in order to use this feature.

Any coder would know if technically the mac app store would allow Vuo exported apps to be uploaded ?

In 2014, we manually modified an app exported from Vuo, including code-signing it, to see if we could submit it to the Mac App Store. At that time, Apple apparently was OK with the technical nature of the app. They rejected the app, but not on technical grounds, just because it was a simple example that didn’t do a whole lot. While I can’t guarantee that Apple would accept a Vuo exported app now, I don’t know of any rules prohibiting it.

1 Like

Now that Notarization is becoming a must on Catalina (although I saw this imore.com/apple-delays-notarization-non-app-store-software-macos-catalina-until-january-2020), I guess it makes more sense to add Notarization to this Feature Request, and add a difficulty dot if needed, rather than split requests, because notarization will somehow be needed anyway is it not ? (see discussion about it here Apps notarized by Apple)

yeah, I consider this important (and will give it a vote) UPDATE : I gave it 10 votes : )  

1 Like

@Bodysoulspirit — Yes, we’d better include notarization. I’ll update the feature request title and complexity rating.

1 Like

Can I check in on this?

I would like to see this too.

I’ve been working on a Vuo App that I was considering might be good and useful enough to actually submit to the Apple Store once Code signing and notarization is implemented. It’s not quite ready yet anyway, mainly because I tore the whole thing apart because I thought of something awesome that I really wanted to implement. In the meantime I had a few questions before thinking too much farther about it.

1. I realize I would need join the Apple Developer Program to distribute this under at a cost of $99US/year. Would there be any other expenses and fees I’m not aware of?

2. The message I get when exporting an App that it “requires macOS on an Intel (X86-64) CPU”, is that just because my App is using nodes not yet compatible with Apple Silicon, or is it even possible to export a single App that is compatible with Intel and Apple Silicon from Vuo yet? If the answer in no Apple probably wouldn’t allow a new app submission that wasn’t Apple Silicon compatible would it?

I realize I would need join the Apple Developer Program to distribute this under at a cost of $99US/year. Would there be any other expenses and fees I’m not aware of?

If selling your app, an additional cost would be the 30% cut that Apple takes (or 15% for approved small businesses). Besides that, there’s sales tax / VAT, business registration fees, accountant fees, etc.

To get through the app submission process, you’d either need to put in significant time toward understanding it and going through it with command-line tools, or you’d need to hire a developer (such as Team Vuo) to walk you through it.

There would also be the cost of your own time for getting through Apple’s review process and updating the app from time to time as required by Apple.

The message I get when exporting an App that it “requires macOS on an Intel (X86-64) CPU”,

With the latest version of Vuo, you should only see that message if your composition contains nodes that aren’t compatible with Apple Silicon, specifically Leap or NDI nodes. If you see it in any other case, I’d appreciate if you could create a bug report so we can figure out what’s going on. Normally, the apps exported by Vuo 2.3.0+ are “universal” in Apple’s parlance, meaning that they contain both Intel and ARM binaries so can run on either.

1 Like

strangely I have one free apple developer account that gives me full access to code bug submissions and FRs etc and another free Apple deve account that only gives me limited access to Apples developer tools, videos and programs. By rights both should lock me out of the developer forums, but one is able to post. Go figure.

so I’d like to see this feature request get up too. I have one solid idea I’ve been sitting on for years and even with all the streaming software and BlackMagicDesign mini ATEM revolution this concept I started in QC as a custom layer for mimioLive still has unique features in the market.

i would certainly be prepared to pay the US$99 p.a. if i had a Vuo authored app that was viable for the macOS App store (and eventually iOS maybe given Apple Silicon convergence around ARM and iOS) . ditto for paying team Vuo to walk me through the code signing.  

Please also for screensavers :pray: