Composition Loader doesn't work properly with multiple Macs running QO10.11.x

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Open any VUO example
  2. Run it
  3. Note that the CompositionLoader doesn’t launch properly. The run button in the VUO editor goes gray, but the composition loader does"t appear in the menu bar. Observing it in the activity editor shows that the compsitionloader process never appears, and in several seconds, focus returns to the Vuo editor.
  4. Redownload VUO, repeat the experiment for exactly the same results

Have you found a workaround?

None directly with 1.2.2. Reload 1.1.1 and everything works fine on both machines

Other notes

• Vuo version: 1.2.2
  • macOS version: OS X 10.11
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from using Vuo at all.

The MacPro (3,1) with 10.11.3 worked ok for several weeks, then stopped working, and couldn’t be revived with reboots, reloading the app, running Diskwarrior on the disk.

The other Mac, a Macbook Air (13 in mid 2012, OS 10.11.5) never could be made to start compositionloader from the VUO Editor 1.2.2 at all. Deleted 1.2.2 and downloading 1.1.1 cured the problem on this machine as well.

@David, sorry you’re not able to run any compositions in Vuo 1.2.2. We’re able to use Vuo 1.2.2 on a Mac OS 10.11.4 system, so I wonder what’s different about your two computers. And why downgrading to Vuo 1.1.1 would make a difference.

When you try to run a composition, do you see any messages in Console.app? Also in Console.app, do you see any crash reports? I wonder if the composition crashes so soon after launch that it never appears in Activity Monitor.

The problem turned out to involve another piece of software that @David had installed, the ScopeLink plugin for CoreMediaIO. In Vuo 1.2.0, we added some code called on composition startup that, as a side effect, loads CoreMediaIO plugins. Trouble is, the ScopeLink plugin takes 5 seconds to load, which exceeds the time that Vuo allows for starting a composition before it gives up.

In Vuo 1.2.3, we’ll make the CoreMediaIO plugins load later so that slow ones like ScopeLink won’t prevent the composition from running.

1 Like

Resolved in Vuo 1.2.3.