Composition won't start Queueing problem

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Open example composition TileStarfield.Vuo
  2. Run - Nothing happens

Have you found a workaround?

Tried turning Multisampling off with no luck.

Other notes

• Vuo version: 1.2.4
  • macOS version: OS X 10.11
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from using Vuo at all.

18.11.2016 09.44.22,742 TileStarfield-WhKaGV[579]: !!! BUG: The current event queue and the main event queue are not the same. Events will not be handled correctly. This is probably because _TSGetMainThread was called for the first time off the main thread.

I could swear I have encountered this before, but can’t remember the context.

Indeed you have encountered this log message before, when you contacted us about the problem with Detect Audio Beats. That message comes up when macOS is demanding that certain code run on the main thread but Vuo is trying to run it on a different thread. This problem may have nothing to do with the previous problem, other than the fact that Vuo is calling macOS (Cocoa) functions.

So far we haven’t been able to reproduce the problem. One possibility is that the problem arises from an interaction between Vuo and some other software you have installed.

Are you comfortable using a debugger (lldb)? If so, it would be super helpful if you could export the composition to an app, run it in lldb, set a breakpoint on _TSGetMainThread, and get a backtrace when the breakpoint is hit.

Otherwise, perhaps you could try removing nodes from the composition to figure out which node(s) is causing the problem?

Thanks, and sorry it’s not working for you!

Oh, it happens on everything. Was looking into the debug thing, but the exported .app runs fine. I was able to run one composition once before it stopped working through the editor the first time I downloaded and installed it. I’ll try to clean all folders and do a reinstall without any trace of 1.2.3.

I’ve come closer to locating the problem, and found a sort-of-workaround, but it is really tedious. The BUG!! warning still seems to pop up, but compositions run if i delete the org.vuo.VuoCompositionLoader.savedState under /user/[username]/Library/Saved Application State. Whenever the folder appears, compositions won’t run, but if I delete it while the editor is running, they run again. Attaching the saved state folder.

org.vuo.VuoCompositionLoader.savedState.zip (2.38 KB)

That helps, thanks.

Until we figure out how to fix this, you may be able to avoid tedium by disabling saved state for VuoCompositionLoader.

Thanks! Tedi avoided! :D

I have some additional issues that might be related to this. I can’t resize the Composition Loader without specifying it through any resolution related node. It also won’t go to front when clicking the icon in the dock.

Those are most likely side effects of the _TSGetMainThread issue.

We looked into the Saved Application State folder you sent, but unfortunately we weren’t able to glean any useful information from it (one of the files is encrypted) or reproduce the problem using it.

Our next step is to find a way to trap the _TSGetMainThread call and print a backtrace on your system, which would tell us where in Vuo the problem is coming from.

(Sent special debug version. Will continue investigating when @MartinusMagneson replies with a crash report.)

Crash report sent!

Takk! The crash report shows where the problem is: Vuo tells the operating system to initialize audio devices, the operating system finds the Jack audio plugin (our old friend) and initializes it, and Jack tries to do something with a folder that is supposed to be done on the main thread, but isn’t. If we change Vuo to make sure it initializes audio on the main thread, that should fix the problem.

Fixed in Vuo 1.2.5.