Different window size depending on method of resizing

I’m having another question related to screen sizes.

I can really be wrong because I never really understood something about screen resolutions, pixels dpi, points and all that stuff but I was just wondering, I notice some differences in the Aspect Ratio.

My 13" MBP screen has a resolution of 1280 * 800 which is 16:10 (1.6) if I’m right.

When I use Change Window Size and Change Window Aspect Ratio I’m getting different values from "Get Window Size’s` Aspect Ratio Port.

Compare Aspect Ratios Methods.png

And when I manually calculate the screen values with Get Screen Values I get a correct 1.6 aspect ratio.

Manual Calculate PixW : PixH.png

On another note, am I right if I say that Get Image Size and Get Screen Values use the labels Height & Width for pixels where Get Window Dimensions differentiates the Width / Height from Pixel Width / Height.

Could then Get Image Size & Get Screen Values be labeled “Pixels W & H” ? Confused me when I started with Vuo.

Pixels : Points Labels.png

When I use Change Window Size and Change Window Aspect Ratio I’m getting different values from "Get Window Size’s` Aspect Ratio Port.

When tested on a larger screen, both windows show aspect ratio 1.6. So the problem is most likely due to your smaller screen. You’re asking the window to be resized to exactly as large as your screen (1280x800), but since it’s a window (not fullscreen), OS X reduces the size of the window to make room for the menu bar, title bar, and dock.

Could then Get Image Size & Get Screen Values be labeled “Pixels W & H” ? Confused me when I started with Vuo.

We’re planning some changes to those nodes to make them less confusing, including adding the option to output image size in Vuo coordinates as opposed to pixels.

1 Like