Editor becomes very slow with large compositions

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. open the comp and try to do something like connecting an cable, changing a value at an nodes input or insert a new node… everything is very very slow

How did the result differ from what you expected?

the composition becomes slower and slower, maybe it is the number of the nodes… (in QC i did projects with maybe 8-10 times more patches… but since VUO i don’t like to work in QC anymore ;))

The builded App (also takes a while to build) runs perfect :)

Other notes

• Vuo version: 1.2.1
  • macOS version: OS X 10.11

slow comp.zip (123 KB)

This composition has 961 nodes and 1395 cables. Wow. (You work with 8-10X more patches on one level in QC??)

Improving performance is a good thing, so I’m marking this “Scheduled for work”.

Have you considered breaking down the composition into subcompositions? It would improve editor and compiler performance to not have so many nodes on the same level, and you wouldn’t have to scroll several kilometers across the composition ;)

Hi Jaymie,
i am sorry, not on one level in QC, but there it is more fast and easy to create macro patches.
Yes sure i tried to use sub compositions, but with different results from the sub composition than without.
(it is absolut possible, that i did mistakes in this period of the work)
so as soon as i have some time to prepare something reasonable for you, i will send it for further investigation ;)

Ah, good point. Feature requests Ability to create composition-local subcompositions and Open subcomposition in same window as composition should make it faster and easier to create subcompositions.

Wild guess about your different results with vs. without subcompositions: keep in mind that each event into a subcomposition goes through all published input ports. If that doesn’t preemptively answer your questions, then yeah, please post a question/discussion with your composition.

We’ve made some improvement to the performance for large compositions in Vuo 1.2.3. We’re continuing to work on it.