Export Movie via Image Gen Protocol -- Audio?

Greetings and Happy New Year!

I’m just confirming that the offline render of video does not seem to allow for a sound track.

Is this the case? If so, it would seem to make it difficult to create finished or intermediate stage video clips for publication.

I’ve managed to get results with the Save Images to Movie component but I’m thinking I’d get better results with a NRT render as in, say, DaVinci Resolve.

Any thoughts, suggestions, links would be a big help. Thanks!

…edN

As far as I know you can’t yet export audio with the export movie render yet. I’m also waiting for this feature as I’ve found it quite fiddly in the past when working with audio-reactive elements to align everything after.

Something thats helped me was to create a flash that syncs with the first frame of the audio.

Thanks for this.

One possibility given the current limitations might (I say might) be to output the audio as frames. There is mention of a Time code being attached to the file. This is a (somewhat obscure) feature of outputting a movie as well. So the theory would be a) figure out if/how the same time code could be attached to the video and the audio and then b) synch them in post using the ‘with time code’ option that most NLEs offer.

Could be dead simple if it’s possible and explained somewhere or could be fiddly as you say.

I thought to try the Syphon option but there’s some subtlety with getting audio into the output stream to the Syphon Recorder that I haven’t had a chance to fiddle with. Probably Jack or Loopback will be needed. On my Mac it is not one of those things the ‘just works.’

Thanks again. …edN

In truth, Save Images to Movie does the job. But it’s real time and thus best applied to clips under, say, 5 minutes in a collage style, NLE workflow. If you have an extended time line you really do want an NRT solution.

@eenixon, you’re correct that offline render (File > Export > Movie) does not support audio. Here’s the feature request for adding audio.

Instead of Save Images to Movie, you could try Save Frames to Movie. Together with Make Video Frame and Make Audio Frame, this would allow you to put a timestamp on each frame.

Thanks, Jaymie. I’m glad to see the feature request is ongoing although I don’t yet understand the voting process. I’ll look at all that more closely.

I tried the Frames to Movie and Make Audio/Video Frame route yesterday. But I don’t have a handle on how the timestamp works in detail.

I’ll look at it again. I assume in using Export that I’ll end up with two files: one with video only and the other with audio only?

Can you help me understand what the shutter angle slider is used for. In other contexts, i.e., on DSLR or Mirrorless cameras, the shutter angle is an analog for shutter speed. If memory serves, it is set to a number roughly twice that of the shutter speed. But I don’t see how it plays in the Export process.

Thanks for your help. …edN

Here’s one example of Save Frames to Movie (attached). It pairs an audio soundtrack that plays in real time with video frames that are produced slower than real time. (Insert your own audio file.)

If your composition is audio-reactive — the audio and video are not independent as above, but rather the audio affects the video — you could try the strategy here: save the audio analysis to a file, then read the file back into the composition that you export to movie.

I’ll look at it again. I assume in using Export that I’ll end up with two files: one with video only and the other with audio only?

The Save Frames/Images to Movie node produces a file containing video and optionally audio. File > Export > Movie produces a file containing video only. (You’d use one or the other, not both.)

SaveFramesToMovieExample.vuo (8.2 KB)

Can you help me understand what the shutter angle slider is used for.

Shutter angle modulates motion blur. It’s simulating a rotary disc shutter. A greater angle means the shutter is more open and has a longer exposure, thus a wider streak of motion blur.

I’ve attached an example. The composition is exported with Motion Blur set to 32 samples and Shutter angle set to 45º or 360º.

fastcircles.vuo (4.04 KB)