Find the position of a letter

Here’s a question for you guys. Say I have some live text, for example,

‘Hello my name is Mario’

Is it possible to then find the centre/positional coordinates of each letter?

Mmm, for a simple text layer I don’t know of any way with a quick thought, maybe someone would know.

For short 1 row strings, you could use a monospaced font, split the string into individual layers and retrieve child layer position, quick test composition attached.

Get Child Layer Text Character Position 1.3.vuo (5.15 KB)

1 Like

Thanks @bodysoulspirit A monospaced font was actually my first thought but unfortunately I have to use a specific font. For now I’ve drawn letters and moved them into the right position but it’s time consuming and not really scalable for what I’m after. Thanks anyway…

You mean it’s like a hand-drawn font ?

I said a monospaced font but actually testing it with a non-monospaced font (ex AvenirNext) it still looks pretty good IMO. Maybe the kerning is a little different but not hyper obvious.

Tested the method above and it looks awful with your specific font ? Or you mean you have to place the letters not in a row ?

Get Child Layer Text Character Position 1.4.vuo (5.81 KB)

I actually meant that I used a text layer to see the correct placement and then hand positioned each letter over the top so they’re in the correct position. Your comps interesting though, I didn’t think arranging it in a grid would work quite as well as it does so might be something here, will have a play, thank you.

1 Like

I said a monospaced font but actually testing it with a non-monospaced font (ex AvenirNext) it still looks pretty good IMO.

Yeah, because of how you produced and positioned the layers. Make Text Layer makes each letter’s layer only as wide as the letter. Arrange Layers in Row tightly packs the layers (unlike Arrange Layers in Grid which evenly spaces them). So you get a linotype effect, no overlaps between letters, but depending on the font it might not look too out of place.

1 Like

@jstrecker thank you, yes I guessed that but couldn’t be sure since Get Rendered Layer Bounds needed layer names (which is great it will be fixed in Vuo 2.0 if I’m right)

Yep :)

1 Like