Fire periodycally fires intermittently (or not at all).

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Render scene to image
  2. Make image feedback loop
  3. Trigger “hold” node from fire periodically set to 1 sec.
  4. wait

How did the result differ from what you expected?

Image update slows down, then stops, then after a while slowly resume, before stopping again.

Have you found a workaround?

no

Other notes

• Vuo version: 1.1.1
  • macOS version: OS X 10.10

It kind of looks like the image update drifts out of sync/phase when triggering it in this matter, so that there is no new frame to update until the frames have completed a cycle to be within a frame where it can produce a result or something like that.

I use it with a few timed nodes. I suspect that it might work if everything is triggered from the fire periodically node (instead of only the render scene to image and the hold node), but that would break the comp.

@MartinusMagneson, could you attach a simple composition demonstrating the problem?

Sure, this is the one I’m having problems with.

faildot.vuo (14 KB)

Whenever nodes can be executed by multiple event sources (in this case, Render Image to Window and Fire Periodically), the event sources may conflict with each other. While the node is executing due to an event from one source (say, Render Image to Window), an event is fired from the other source (Fire Periodically), and the second event can either be enqueued (wait until the first event is done, then execute) or dropped (ignored).

In your composition, Fire Periodically is set to drop events, the default. Right-click on the Fired port, and change Event Throttling to Enqueue, and I think your composition will work as you intended. Check out 4.4. Controlling the buildup of events in the manual.

For Vuo 1.2, we’re working on improving this situation in a couple ways:

1. We’re making event scheduling more intelligent, so rarely-firing nodes (like Fire Periodically) won’t be completely obliterated by frequently-firing nodes (like Render Image to Window).
  2. We’re adding some new nodes to make animation timing easier.

Ah, thanks! Devil is in the details as usual

Fixed in Vuo 1.2.0.