Framerate issue with Receive Live Video on Apple Silicon

Steps causing the bug to occur

I don’t have an M1 myself. I’ve had two reports of 3-5 second video lag with my Vuo-made application, when running on M1 Macs. Given the performance of these machines, I can only guess something else is going on.

You can download my Vuo made app here: https://www.notion.so/Getting-Started-with-Five-beta-13bd854cc94243348e039778bb8e7956

The app takes a video feed, and outputs a syphon feed.

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.2.0
  • macOS version: macOS 11
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from using Vuo at all.

Unfortunately, this makes my app unusable on M1 Macs.

We’ve investigated, and it seems the bottleneck is a Rosetta bug related to how Apple is processing the camera image OpenGL texture. We don’t see a fix until we add native ARM support or switch to Metal. In the meantime, you can try changing the webcam to a lower resolution.

Thanks Jean Marie. Ouch, what a bummer! I know the answer is probably ‘not at this time’, but is there any timeline for native ARM support or Metal?

Native ARM support is our primary development focus at the moment, and Metal is coming next after that. These are both large undertakings with a lot of unknowns, so we haven’t scheduled release dates yet.

Thank you for the update!

Update…

Noticed single red frames/flashes when video is running (at slow framerate) on camera from old Thunderbolt display (never seen on Intel). Took Activity Log during one of these flashes, if that proves useful at all.  

Vuo red flash.txt (163 KB)

We’ve tracked down the problem, and expect to have it fixed in Vuo 2.3.0.

The slowness is within Apple’s AVFoundation framework (specifically, the CVOpenGLTextureCacheCreateTextureFromImage function). Amusingly, the solution seems to be to pass a parameter called kCVOpenGLTextureCacheChromaSamplingModeBestPerformance.

In our testing so far, that fixes the slowness in Receive Live Video and Capture Image of Screen.

giphy.gif

Oh, this is sheer awesomeness. Thank you!
(And wow, that’s a weird bug.)  

2 Likes

Oh and let us know if some beta testing is required!!

1 Like

Fixed in Vuo 2.3.0.

Thanks all!