Get Mesh / Object Vertices (Points / Positions)

I’d love a Get Mesh Vertices node, similar to the great Parabox Get Mesh Values, but here perhaps for Points only.

I found myself using that feature the most and using it for many compositions.

However since the solved bug for points not showing when used with noise on 3D objects (solved bug), I get a bug with the Parabox node.

Official support for this would be a great value IMHO.

Thanks for the suggestion, @Bodysoulspirit. Opened for voting.

1 Like

For those who voted, I have uploaded a basic custom node that retrieves the vertices of an object : link.
It doesn’t retrieve sub children so flatten the object first with Flatten 3D Object if the object has children.

Also, my coding skills are very limited, so keep voting for this feature request if you want a more powerful and optimised built-in version polished by the Vuo team.

3 Likes

This one is becoming more and more necessary to build into the default node set. Since we are on the subject, can we add normals to this request?

1 Like

Yep, we can easily include normals (and tangents, bitangents, and texture coordinates).

3 Likes

Added 5 votes for this, in the meanwhile, using BSS’s version :)

1 Like

Chosen to be implemented.

Yep, we can easily include normals (and tangents, bitangents, and texture coordinates).

Actually we’ll just include positions and normals, since AFAIK there’s not really anything useful you can do with the other pieces of data in Vuo currently. Positions you can pass to Make Points Object, Make Triangles Object, etc. Normals you can use together with positions to orient another object so it’s sitting on the first object’s surface.

2 Likes

Super happy when I learned this node was scheduled for release, though on the subject of texture coordinates not making the cut, any hope, maybe just for triangles and/or quads? I think of @smokris 's Metallic Shader – albeit super interesting, it uses parallel line strips, so wishing to apply the idea elsewhere was a dead end. And @scratchpole’s approach to pull it off is daunting (<-- replaced the word “insane”), quoting from his library comp post:

Happy to share this finally, it took quite a lot of time to get it all ‘correct’. Uses Parabox mesh nodes and stv.generate circle.

Or maybe I’m looking at this wrong and a proper FR could be something related to Remove Texture Coordinates, like Remap Texture Coordinates. Or will texture coordinates perhaps already be remapped in a generally useful way because the vertices will be in order when the new Get Object Vertices is plugged into, say, Make Triangles Object? Here’s where my 3D knowledge gets a little fuzzy…  

I dug out my unsolved effort with @smokris’s Metallic Scribbler and posted for help – if that problem is solvable now, may not feel as stuck not having texture coordinates from this module.  

1 Like

Added a Get Mesh Values node in Vuo 2.4.0.

2 Likes

Great news :fire:

My obsession with lists just compounded. Thank you for this node!! Thanks to Karl and Christian for their contributions.