How does one use the Get Scene node?

How does one obtain a result out of the Get Scene node? I can’t seem to get it to observe an event.

I have a folder named “rsc” at the root of my hd, and I’m writing things like:

“file:///rsc/model.fbx”

…etc.

For example, I’ve used the DisplaySquare composition as a starting point, attached the Fire on Start “started” output to the event port on the Get Scene, and pass the output of that to a Render Scene to Window. I’ve tried multiple models and obtained no results, save for a black viewer window.

Is the scene not normalized when it’s imported this way? It seems that there needs to be some kind of controls for centering/normalization to world, etc. Or do I have to be using a scale/transform somehow?

model.fbx

As of Vuo 0.5.0, FBX isn’t supported yet. Here’s the list of supported formats.

Is the scene not normalized when it’s imported this way?

Correct, there isn’t yet a way to automatically normalize the scene. For now you’ll either need to save the mesh pre-scaled to Vuo coordinates (see below), or use the “Combine 3D Objects” with a transform.

Vuo coordinates

In Vuo coordinates, (0,0,0) is the center of the scene. The scene has a width of 2, with x-coordinate -1 on the left edge and 1 on the right edge. The scene’s height is determined by its aspect ratio, with the y-coordinate increasing from bottom to top. The scene’s camera is at (0,0,1), with the z-coordinate increasing from back to front.

Can it import DAE’s?

I tried that first… now I’m trying a DAE, and outputting that to a Combine 3D Objects that has a Make Transform attached and not having luck. I suspect I may have to see a photo of all the nodes that need to be involved.

Try something like this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ulw31otc9xbf0v/Vuo-GetScene.png

Did you see the DisplayScene.vuo example composition? That demonstrates loading a 3DS file.

It works with DAE, too — try pasting http://softpixel.com/~smokris/teapot_instancenodes.DAE and setting the scale to 0.01.