How to generate UV/Texture coordinates?

I would like to be able to generate UV’s from the vertex for my rotating arrow or for any other generated 3d object https://community.vuo.org/t/-/6230
Is there a good method that you know of?
I have been looking at this: generate UV’s but not got there yet.

I’ve started with the basics so that I can work out where I’m heading, see attached: Quad with texture cooordinates.
Uses Parabox nodes.

Make UV coordinates.zip (20.2 KB)

The UVs for your quad look correct. For your rotating arrow or other objects, where are you stuck in the procedure that you linked to?

By the way, for correct lighting and correct behavior with some 3D object filter nodes, you’ll need to fix the normals, tangents, and bitangents into the Parabox Make Mesh with Values node. Maybe you’re already aware and just filled them in real quick for this experiment, but I just wanted to make sure you knew they should be different than positions.

1 Like

I was very slowly working through the method I linked to yesterday, and was starting to get confused because it only describes working within one plane.
Will probably show you where I get to with it later today.

Yes, with the arrow composition I just hooked something up to the inputs quickly to see what came out.
Any resources you can point me at for normals, tangents, and bitangents?
I wish there were some examples to use the Parabox nodes which showed all of the potential they have.

OK I’m making some decent progress. Still manually creating the coordinates though. I’d really like to find a way to programatically make them.

UV mapping generated planes.zip (1.67 MB)

More progress - Rotating Rectangular Prism UVs

Rotating Rectangular Prism UVs.zip (5.76 MB)

1 Like

Generative Cubic Snakes with UV's on Vimeo  

1 Like

Good job @scratchpole

1 Like

Any resources you can point me at for normals, tangents, and bitangents?

For a simple plane, see vuo/type/VuoMesh.c at main · vuo/vuo · GitHub

For now instead of calculating Normals, I have found that feeding the object into Facet 3D Object is giving me a decent normals/lighting render.

2 Likes