How to package and send serial data to control Addressable LEDs?

I’ve been struggling for a few months now trying to get Vuo to control addressable LEDs (neopixels / ws2812bs) over serial.

The part that I am failing to understand is how to package up a list of RGB pixel values in vuo and send them to a serial device (such as Arduino or Teensy). I’ve been experimenting with some Arduino sketches specifically for this such as: A simple Arduino program which uses Adafruit's NeoPixel library to relay serial-level RGB data to a series of WS2811-compatible LED modules attached to an output pin. The use of Adafurit's library requires double buffering in the serial-receive code, reducing the number of LEDs that can be driven with a single Arduino. It's possible that code could be upgraded to avoid this limitation, but it wasn't an issue with the number of LEDs that I was driving with the code (256). IMPORTANT NOTE: When sending data to this program, NEVER SEND MORE THAN 63 BYTES AT A TIME. Doing so will crash the arduino and confuse the USB Serial driver on your computer. Send blocks of up to 63 bytes and wait for a few microseconds before sending more (calling your language's flush() method works well). · GitHub

However I can’t seem to generate the right data to control the LEDs such as, all LEDs to Red (255, 0, 0) or all off (0, 0, 0). Can anyone shed light on how Vuo sends serial data packets and maybe how one might form a composition that interfaces with the following code: ?

// include the neo pixel library
#include <Adafruit_NeoPixel.h>

// The number of LEDs being driven. This dictates how much data is expected in each frame read from the serial port.
static const int NUM_LEDS = 256;

// Parameter 1 = number of pixels in strip
// Parameter 2 = pin number (most are valid)
// Parameter 3 = pixel type flags, add together as needed:
//   NEO_RGB     Pixels are wired for RGB bitstream
//   NEO_GRB     Pixels are wired for GRB bitstream
//   NEO_KHZ400  400 KHz bitstream (e.g. FLORA pixels)
//   NEO_KHZ800  800 KHz bitstream (e.g. High Density LED strip)
Adafruit_NeoPixel strip = Adafruit_NeoPixel(
  NUM_LEDS,             // Number of pixels in strip
  12,                   // Pin number (most are valid)
  NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800  //  pixel type flags, add together as needed:
                        //   NEO_RGB     Pixels are wired for RGB bitstream
                        //   NEO_GRB     Pixels are wired for GRB bitstream
                        //   NEO_KHZ400  400 KHz bitstream (e.g. Old FLORA pixels)
                        //   NEO_KHZ800  800 KHz bitstream (e.g. New FLORA pixels and most WS2811 strips)
);

// Buffer used to read LED data from Serial.
// TODO: Direct access to the Adafruit_NeoPixel buffer would cut memory usage in half
char colorValues[NUM_LEDS*3];

void setup() {
  // Init the NeoPixel library and turn off all the LEDs
  strip.begin();
  strip.show();

// Do a quick test/demo to show that things are working
  for (int i=0; i<60; i++) { flashAll(strip.Color((i%20)*2,i%30,i%60)); delay(10); }

// Initialize the buffer to all black
  memset(colorValues, 0, sizeof(colorValues));

// Initialize serial and wait for port to open:
  Serial.begin(115200);
  while (!Serial) {
    ; // wait for port to be ready
  }

// Tell the computer that we're ready for data
  Serial.println("READY");
}

void loop() {
  while (true) {
    int bufferPos = 0;

// Read the data for each pixel
    while (bufferPos < NUM_LEDS*3) {
      int color = Serial.read();
      if (color >= 0) {
        colorValues[bufferPos++] = color;
      }
    }

// Feed the data to the NeoPixel library
    for(int i=0; i<NUM_LEDS; i++) {
      int d = i*3;
      uint32_t c = strip.Color(colorValues[d], colorValues[d+1], colorValues[d+2]);
      strip.setPixelColor(i, c);
    }

// update the strip
    strip.show();

// Clear up the serial buffer
    while (Serial.available() > 0) Serial.read();

// Let the sender know we're ready for more data
    Serial.println("READY");
  }
}

void flashAll(uint32_t color) {
  // Do a quick test/demo to show that things are working
  for (int i=0; i < NUM_LEDS; i++) {
    strip.setPixelColor(i, color);
  }
  strip.show();
}

In Vuo, Convert Data to Text -> Send Serial Data is going to send the data as a UTF8-encoded string.

For example, if you were to feed the integer 255 into Summarize Value -> Convert Data to Text -> Send Serial Data, this would send not one but three bytes of data to the serial device — one for the character ‘2’, one for the first character ‘5’, and one for the second character ‘5’. So your int color = Serial.read() is going to get not one but three numbers — 50, 53, 53.

One solution would be to modify your serial device code to expect the data as a string rather than an integer, like in this example: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/StringToIntExample

Or another solution would be to write a custom Vuo node that converts an unsigned 8-bit number (0-255) from Integer to 1 byte of Data so it can be read directly by Serial.read(). Or, for your purpose, a list of n Integers to n bytes of Data.