I'm getting a wrong ListItem Count port conversion/helper node.

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. I can’t repeat it in a minimal scenario but it’s in the file attached. 9 items in list and yet it counts them as 10, when I remove wire from port, number 10 is left as the constant input value for Maximum on the Count Through List Node.

Have you found a workaround?

Yes. If I create a Count Items in List node attach it to the list and then the port, it collapses like the previous mini-node but this time has a value of 9 not 10. Weird.

Other notes

• Vuo version: 1.2.7
  • macOS version: macOS 10.12
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It’s annoying but I can work around it.

I’m attaching the 3 nodes that are involved and it counts the list correctly there. But in the fuller example comp it is adding an element it’s “10” instead of “9” when I Drag the cable from a share list node onto the Maximum port of the Count Through List Node. If I make a Count Items in List node and connect via that the correct value is used, and the node collapses to the mini-node format.

Getting the next item in a list in a process list cycle v1.3.vuo (8.5 KB)

Element in list counting bug?.vuo (1.88 KB)

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 6.11.58 pm.png

In your smaller (working) composition, there’s a cable into the refresh port of Hold List. In your larger (not working) composition, that cable is missing. So Hold List never outputs anything.

(The other two input ports of Hold List have walls. They block all events. Only the refresh port lets events through.)

Ok, got it, thanks, Jaymie.

before add the refresh wire, the Hold node does output a list. The list never changes if I hover on the output port or tear it off as a floating window (as you’d expect because there is no refresh). But if I move the mouse away and bring it back the output list has updated, and change the order. Weird, but academic I guess as it’s not being used correctly.

This is an overly complicated construct to shuffle a list of values btw, I got it working eventually in another comp but it’s so frustrating handling loops/iteration in Vuo I think it needs some deep thinking. I hope the FR to have all nodes handle lists natively will help, but there’s the cases where you want to do something unique, it’s never straight forward like it is in so many text programming languages, and even QC is easier to loop lists etc for that matter IMHO.