Image Generator / Movie Export / Aliasing Issue

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Export Movie from Image Generator Comp.
  2. Change Aliasing to 4x
  3. Rendered file is black.

Have you found a workaround?

I cannot export aliasing above 2x

Other notes

• Vuo version: 1.2.7
  • macOS version: OS X 10.11
  • How severely does this bug affect you? Not much; I’m just letting you know about it.

Mac Pro 2013 D500 GPU’s

In the meantime, you can try using Send Image via Syphon and record the image with Syphon Recorder http://syphon.v002.info/recorder/.

In general, I find this more reliable, or at least more easy to get good result than recording directly with Vuo.

@krezrock, it could be that the exporting is using more memory (VRAM) than you have available. Higher antialiasing uses more memory. Vuo is supposed to pop up a “Not enough memory” dialog before exporting if the calculated memory needed exceeds the memory available, but maybe it’s not in this case. Could you attach the composition?

@Kewl, you’re comparing Syphon Recorder to Vuo compositions’ File > Start Recording, right? Vuo’s File > Export > Movie should be completely reliable (no skipped frames). If you notice a case where it’s not reliable, please let us know.

I changed to Syphon Recorder more than a year ago, so I don’t remember exactly the motivation, but it must be related to the fact that the problematic composition is for audio/music visualization and that File > Export > Movie is not necessarily realtime, or something like that.

Oh OK. Thanks for the tip.  

@jstrecker, It’s definitely not presenting any dialog “Not Enough Memory”. I want to try and replicate the issue on my other device, to see if it’s these D500’s.

Attached a simple image generator composition that I’ve confirmed has this issue.  

SimpleSphere_gen_1.vuo (2.44 KB)

@krezrock, thanks for attaching your composition.

We tested your composition on a MacBook Pro and, like you, did not get a “Not enough memory” dialog before exporting. But there was an error logged in Console.app while exporting:

VuoSceneRenderer.cc:1592          VuoSceneRenderer_renderInternal()    Not enough graphics memory for a 7680x4320 (8 bytes/pixel * 8 sample) render with depth buffer.  Requires 6644 MB, have 1674 MB.

When calculating the amount of graphics memory required to export the movie, Vuo isn’t factoring in the settings on the Render Scene to Image node (Color Depth = 16bpc and Multisampling = 8x) which increase memory usage substantially. So it doesn’t know in advance to pop up the “Not enough memory” dialog. It tries to export and then runs out of memory and logs the error to console.

I’m not sure if it would be practical to factor the Render Scene to Image settings into the calculation of memory before exporting, but maybe Vuo could display a dialog if you run out of memory while exporting. At least then it would be clear what is going on. I’ll confer with the team.

To work around the memory limit, you can reduce the color depth, multisampling, or antialiasing.

@jstrecker Understood. Definitely running out of Memory. And I should have checked the Console before submitting this. From my experience the settings in the Export Movie module override the Render Scene to Image settings. Which would be the expected behavior. It’s not really necessary to use that much Multisampling, I just set it at highest to test. Normally 2x is good enough for my purposes.

Thank you for clearing it up.

-Az

Discussed with the team — what we can do in the near future is detect if the image generator outputs an empty image while exporting and show an error dialog.  

1 Like

Sounds good. Thank you kindly for your time.

Fixed in Vuo 1.2.8.