Inconsistency, not a bug

Steps causing the bug to occur

Seems there would be much more consistency with “Receive Keyboard Buttons” if “Make Action Button” also generated released events.

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.4.0
  • macOS version: macOS 11
  • CPU: arm64
  • Have you been able to reproduce the problem? Yes, the problem occurs consistently when I follow the steps above
  • How severely does this bug affect you? Not much; I’m just letting you know about it.

@pbourke,

For Make Action Button we believe the most common use case is whether the button was clicked, without the need for the extra information on whether it’s the downstroke or upstroke. Do you have a use case where that additional information is important?

@pbourke replied by email:

There have been multiple times when I would like it. The most recent is for navigation in an interactive 3D world, on a control pane holding down a graphical button to raise the camera rather than assigning keys.

It looks like you are describing a “momentary button,” which Wikipedia describes as “A momentary on‑off switch (such as on a laser pointer) usually takes the form of a button and only closes the circuit when the button is depressed.”

We designed the Make Action Button node around the idea of an “action button” as a widget that you click (press and release) causing a singular action to be performed.

Rather than trying to graft additional behavior onto Make Action Button, we could create a separate Make Momentary Button node if you’re interested — feel free to create a feature request.

Or you could implement a momentary button with the Receive Mouse Drags on Layer node, like in the attached composition.

HoldButton.vuo (3.89 KB)