Iteration

Hi
Coming from Quartz Composer i’m trying to understand how to achieve a similar method to the QC iterator node. I found this thread but i’m still struggling a little. Here is the patched i have so far, but i’m unsure how to keep the process list node firing.
Any help gratefully received.
Howie

its.vuo (6.32 KB)

Great job already !

In Vuo there are several ways also to iterate, useful nodes are “Build List” like the one you used, “Process List”, “Make Points Along Line” & “Copy 3D Object / Copy Layer”.

Joined is your composition tidied up, no need both Process List & Build List, just a Build List is sufficient.
Joined also a way using “Copy 3D Objects” & make points along line (the random colors is still a build list).

A great and top voted already feature request is Iteration: Turn most nodes into iterators by allowing single-value ports to accept lists, basically it will allow you to connect a list to a port and it will automatically “spread” and copy for you that node along your given list, very powerful and easy iteration.

EDIT : saw from your other post about Motion Detection that you’ve already found out about “Copy Layer” ;)  

Build List Layers.vuo (6.08 KB)

Copy 3D Objects.vuo (6.22 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for your reply - thats great to see how how it can be done with one list and i like the sound of more integrated iteration.

I realize now it wasn’t so clear what i was asking - i hoped to keep looping the list so the iterations could be animated.
But if i plug requested frames into the wave time nothing happens.
It appears i need to keep firing at the list - but if you use the fire on display refresh to do this: it fires a time float that replaces the integer for list length. Resulting in continually increased number of iterations.

I guess what i looking for is something that converts the counting time from FODR into some kind of pulsing bang/bool

Thanks Again  

Ah, one rule is everything you want to add inside the “Build List” loop, needs to be in phase with the “loop refresh time”, if you add extra external events, like f.e. requested frame, the loops builds a chunky list based on various inputs. You can avoid that by adding “Hold Value” nodes, and phase update those with the “Build List” itself.
See the modified Build List Layers 1.1

You can also create a build list just for the wave time offsets, see Build List Layers 1.2  

Build List Layers 1.1.vuo (5.89 KB)

Build List Layers 1.2.vuo (6.39 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to make these, they are really helpful :-)

2 Likes

;) My pleasure.
There are usually several ways to achieve something in Vuo, joined 2 more methods without Process List (can be computing heavy in some cases).
One using Cosine List, another using Parametric Points  

Cosine List.vuo (6.31 KB)

Parametric Points.vuo (5.25 KB)

Cool - i can see how those are more efficient solutions.