Make Grid Line Object Lines Width is rendering slightly differently in VDMX

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Add a Make Grid Lines Object node
  2. View composition in VDMX
  3. Notice the lines are not as visible as they are in Vuo

Have you found a workaround?

I can increase the width and opacity of the lines in Vuo in order for them to show up as expected in VDMX.

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.0.3
  • macOS version: macOS 10.13
  • How severely does this bug affect you? Not much; I’m just letting you know about it.

The top image of the screenshot is VDMX and the bottom image is the attached Vuo comp, but exported as an app and loaded into VDMX as a Syphon source. This is my workaround for seeing Vuo comps with subcompositions in VDMX (see previous bug report where I think that subcomps are causing VDMX to crash). I thought exporting as an app could work for the moment and then noticed the grid lines are barely visible, you can just about see the lines over the “planet” within VDMX.

SaturnStorm.zip (13 KB)

LineGrid.jpg

Looking at the screenshot again it looks like the points of the Make Random Points Object node are also rendering slightly differently in that it looks like there are less stars than in Vuo.

It looks like it’s just rendering dimensions.
Look at the width and height being sent to the the window in your comp, then look at the resolution you are rendering at in VDMX.
When your lines are thinner than a pixel they are very hard to display.
If you publish controls for those inputs it’s very useful when performing on different screens/resolutions.

@Scratchpole very good point :blush:

Converted the file to a “normal” comp as was an Image Generator Protocol, set width and height to 1280x720 in Vuo & VDMX. The lines still seemed fainter though (see v1 attached).

I then changed the lines from #FFFFFF with 24% opacity to a solid grey colour and that sorted it. (see v2 attached)

Looks as though the opacity / transparency renders slightly differently in VDMX perhaps? If you look at the Planet as well - it has a small amount of transparency and looks fainter within VDMX, but will investigate further. Not sure if this is still a bug or user error!

(Edit: The starField is rendering correctly with lots of stars, but the screenshots don’t reflect that for some reason)  

@Joëlle, did you figure out the problem?

Closing until we get further info.