Multiple OSC messages not received correctly by MA software

Steps causing the bug to occur

When sending OSC string-messages to MA3 lighting consoles (www.malighting.com) over localhost at least, using more than one message input in the “Send OSC Messages” node leads to unexpected results at the receiving end. When using more than one input, it seems they are enclosed in parentheses () which are then not read as multiple addresses/values by the receiver. Further, the parenthesis are in some messages replaced with the number 4 for some reason.

Have you found a workaround?

Using one “Send OSC Messages” per message produces the intended result.

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.4.0
  • macOS version: macOS 11
  • CPU: x86_64
  • Have you been able to reproduce the problem? Yes, the problem occurs consistently when I follow the steps above
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It’s annoying but I can work around it.

I’m not sure if the problem is according to the MA implementation of OSC or if it is on Vuo’s end. They are extremely rigid about implementations sticking to the spec, so if there are different conventions for implementing OSC, they might have gone for the strictest approach.

I also can’t discover MA as an OSC Device from Vuo.

When Send OSC Messages has only 1 drawer item, it sends a regular OSC message. When it has 2 or more drawer items, it sends the messages as an OSC bundle.

Our hypothesis is that the MA3 lighting consoles don’t handle OSC bundles. On a quick search of the MA site, I didn’t find any info that would confirm or deny. Maybe it’s documented somewhere, or maybe you could find out by testing with an OSC sender other than Vuo.

Or you could just go ahead and work around the problem by sending the OSC messages sequentially.
osc-sequence.vuo (2.38 KB)

I also can’t discover MA as an OSC Device from Vuo.

In order for Vuo to auto-detect an OSC device (in List OSC Devices or a Device input editor), the OSC device has to advertise itself over Bonjour (a.k.a. DNS-SD, Zeroconf). Is your MA device doing that? If not, you’ll have to use Specify OSC Output or Specify OSC IP Output.

Closing this bug report since we didn’t identify anything that needs to be fixed in Vuo based on the information so far. If the problem is still unsolved, let us know and we’ll reopen the bug report.