Nodes to convert from Text to most other types

[From More type conversions…]

It seems to me that if one can convert something to text (in the way that a 2D Point converts to text, not how an image does), one ought to be able to convert it back after.

I guess what I had in mind was that text could be converted to something like a 2D Point. The summarized version of a 2D Point looks like: 1.2, 3.4. Couldn’t this be used instead of having to make another node to convert it to JSON?

@Pianomatic, good point. I’ve updated the “Notes from Team Vuo”.

Opened for voting.

This would be good for debugging/newbie learning the more complex data types in Vuo. If I could see the contents of Make 3D… nodes and Mesh nodes I think it would help me to learn Vuo more quickly.

Also allow hack editing of values if they can convert back to original data-type.

I really like this concept, I thought data-types in Vuo would be a bit more transparent than I find them.

I wanted to make a new feature request for something like de-summarize node and end up here. I think it’s a very useable feature since we have a bunch of TREE nodes. Now we can take various data from our compositon (like settings of calibration adjusted for a very long time) and save them as JSON file. But a lack of de-summarizing node (for points, color, numbers, text/numvers lists, etc.) forces us to decode back a tree using dozens of nodes.

For example, to put a 4 points into saveable JSON: take a look at “save-4points” image. And now, to put only first of this points into VuoPoint2d back: take a look at “read-4points” image. Imagine nodes for decoding some 4d matrices or color palette…

I think vuo-nodes-wide de-summarize function will lift whole Vuo system up and make data manipulation symmetric.  

I think Vuo needs a scripting node, JS, Lua, Python or something like that. Makes data and state machine stuff so much less hassle.

@dumski — With Convert Tree to Value you can convert directly from Tree to 2D/3D/4D Point and other types.

TreeToPoints.vuo (2.28 KB)

TreeToPoints.png

1 Like