one composer window with multiple tabs

I find in Vuo 2 that if I have the composer app with a comp open and the window full screened - when I open an additional comp the additional comp opens in an additional tab in the existing window rather than opening in a separate window - I like this a lot but stumbled on it accidentally… Doing this in my 1.x Vuo version doesn’t result in a single window with multiple tabs… So I guess this is a new feature ? I like it a lot - is this behavior unique to opening a comp with the composer window for another comp set to full screen ? (I didn’t see any other way to do it) I find I can drag a tab off and it creates a separate window, but I didn’t then obviously see a way to drag that window back to “dock” it as a tab. To clarify, I’m able to maintain the multi tab arrangement even when the window is not fullscreen, but I’m only able to add another tab to the window by opening the comp while in fullscreen. I’m not complaining about it but rather it seems like a bit of a hidden feature this way.

1 Like

kingluma,

Thanks for testing Vuo!

“So I guess this is a new feature ?”

It’s built-in to macOS. It was accidentally disabled in Vuo 1.2.8, and it’s been reenabled in Vuo 2.0.0-beta1.

“I like it a lot - is this behavior unique to opening a comp with the composer window for another comp set to full screen ? (I didn’t see any other way to do it)”

See the “System Preferences > Dock > Prefer tabs when opening documents” setting. If you change it to “Always” it will use tabs when not fullscreen.

“I find I can drag a tab off and it creates a separate window, but I didn’t then obviously see a way to drag that window back to “dock” it as a tab.”

In Vuo you can go to View > Show Tab Bar, then you can drag the tab into another window.

Great. Thanks for the reply. That’s good to know. I will definitely choose to have multiple comps open in a single multi tabbed window that way for much of what I do in Vuo.

I got pulled away from my Vuo 2 testing to market the release of a kingluma product (a graphic art looks generator) for Final Cut Pro (video best viewed in Full HD) ;

a free version requiring no license can be downloaded here ; http://www.kingluma.com/Trade_Tattoo_for_Final_Cut_Pro.pkg.zip

But before that I did manage to use Vuo 2 to create a few prototype kinds of effects and it was going well. I actually have a very specific project I’m going to do using Vuo as a major part of a product I plan to offer for Final Cut Pro. It’s an idea I attempted using Quartz Composer awhile back but then decided not to release publicly - and I think I’ll be better able to achieve what I’m after with Vuo. So I’m likely to have more Vuo 2 feedback related to the FxPlug export feature.